gloss vs. semi-gloss

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
reinbilt

gloss vs. semi-gloss

Post by reinbilt »

Has anyone in the forum used semi-gloss varnish inside and outside? Were you happy with the results? Can I use gloss for the first two coats and semi for the last two? Really interested in your feedback. Thanks!
Bassbug

Post by Bassbug »

We wanted to use a semi-glass finish, but had problems finding a marine grade finish with UV protection. Behr makes one, but we could only order it in 6qt lots, so we choose to go with gloss. I don't know why you would want to have 2 coats glossy then the sem-gloss. If I were to do it, I would put on all semi-gloss.
Doug

Post by Doug »

"Can I use gloss for the first two coats and semi for the last two?"

May I ask why you want to do this?
What kind of effect are you looking for?
Compatability issues?

Doug
"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
reinbilt

Post by reinbilt »

Doug and Bassbug thanks for the quick replies! My reasons for using gloss first: I have a full quart leftover from my last canoe and I've heard of this being done with poly on furniture finishes. Since my post I checked West Marine catalog and discovered that their varnish products, ZSPAR, INTERLUX, ect. recommend semi-gloss for interior use only. My thinking on using semi-gloss was to cut down on the glare from the sun and produce a soft, richer finish. Guess this was a stupid idea.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Can you blend / mix the two?

Or use the lesser (vol) for later projects?

Doug
"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
Rick

Post by Rick »

I thought Epifanes or Interlux make a satin varnish for exterior use. There's also flattening agents available to reduce gloss. I prefer gloss myself because the wood colors are richer and have more depth. I had both on the shelf at one time and tested them side-by-side on a piece of material - the gloss finish was by far the richer and deeper. Some say the gloss surfaces are also harder and more durable, and stand up to UV better, since they reflect more light.
Its Me

Post by Its Me »

reinbilt wrote: My thinking on using semi-gloss was to cut down on the glare from the sun and produce a soft, richer finish. Guess this was a stupid idea.
Not at all. A semi-gloss finish IMHO, would have given a more natural look to the wood. After hitting the epoxy with 220 grit paper I prefered the look over the high gloss look.

But I will use the standatrd Captains Z-Spar Varnish for the final coats.
JimND

Post by JimND »

Yes, you can use gloss under semi-gloss or satin finish. That is an old woodworkers trick that I do all the time. The reasoning is simple. All flatting agents cause some cloudiness in the finish. With one coat this isn't very noticeable, but add 3 or more coats, especially heavy coats, and the wood begins to lose definition and detail. If you put on enough coats, the wood would become a blur. Since the flatting agent is only needed at the surface to cut the light waves, woodworkers often lay down the foundation coats with a clear gloss and only use the semi-gloss or satin as the final coat. This way the grain detail is maintained while still getting a less than glossy finish.
Bassbug

Post by Bassbug »

'Rick,

We did not find anything but gloss in Epifanes and Interlux. If someone knows of a source for a good non-gloss, marine grade finish with UV protection, I'd like to know about it.
Erik

Post by Erik »

i currently have two containers of Epifanes matt finish marine grade varnish, with uv inhibitors. i will try to get a part number or something off the can tonight if you wish.
Bassbug

Post by Bassbug »

Erik,

Yes, please do that for me. Thanks.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Go to this link: http://www.epifanes.com/home.htm then click on "Products" then click on "Varnishes and Clear Finishes" then click on the small photo of "Wood Finish Matte". Noah's Marine sell it as product # WFM 1000: It is in their "pdf" catalgoue: http://www.noahsmarine.com/United_State ... retail.pdf
Erik

Post by Erik »

there you go, as usual glen has all the info!!

:applause
Bassbug

Post by Bassbug »

Glenn, thanks. However it does not state on the epifanes site that it this a marine finish. Would putting one coat of the matte finishover several marine glossy coats work for boats, in your opinion? I've really never understood what makes a finish "marine". Does anyone know? Also is a marine finish really necessary if placed over epoxy or for that matter wood such as gunwales?
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Epifanes are a marine finish manufacturer and I believe marine finishes are their only products. You can apply one coat of matte over several coats of gloss. The gloss will build up a good surface and the matte will give you the finish you want. Multiple coats of matte can produce a cloudy finish.

I am no varnish expert but the first difference between a marine varnish and a non-marine varnish is the UV inhibitors that have been added to the marine varnish. Marine finishes are also more flexible to prevent cracking. I am sure they have other desireable properties that I am not aware of.

When using a matte varnish you must stir it very often or the flattening agent will settle to the bottom of the can and you will be applying a gloss varnish instead.