S-glass in Canada?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Glen Smith

S-glass in Canada?

Post by Glen Smith »

Does anyone know of a source of S-glass in Canada? Noah's Marine don't carry it because of a lack of demand. Any other possible sources?

I found some 6oz X 30" at Fiber-tek in Burnaby, BC. Any more sources, variety?
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

I believe RAKA carries it. They are in Florida but ship to Canada all the time.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Thanks Tommy, I know about Raka and several other US distributors. I am looking for Canadian sources only.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Tell us more about S-glass.
Stronger than E-glass. 40-70%

Is it worked the same way as E-glass?
$$$?

I never seen it.

Doug
"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

This is an excerpt from the John R. Sweet Co. website "Compared to E-glass, S-glass provides about 40% higher tensile and flexural strengths, about 10 to 20% higher compressive strength and flexural modulus, and greater abrasion resistance."

http://www.johnrsweet.com/Fabric.html
KARKAUAI

Post by KARKAUAI »

I read somewhere that S glass adds a greenish color after epoxying, and may not be as clear as E glass
A hui ho,
Kent
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Well, I have read that some varieties of S-glass are quite hard to wetout properly. As for the greenish cast, I read that it can happen with E-glass that has a "Volan" finish on it. This is still the most widely sold glass around! Glass that has a "Silane" finish won't have the greenish color.

I had a bit of the green in one area where I had two layers of 6oz Volan treated E-glass. But now it looks perfectly clear.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Some of the commercial canoe manufacturers out there should have S-glass, it's used to cover over kevlar layers and they might be willing to sell it.