Ready for varnish!!!

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Chris

Ready for varnish!!!

Post by Chris »

Hy there - couldn`t believe it - my Freedom 17" looks like ready for varnishing. Fixed the hardware today (only have to wait for some long brass carriage bolts from Maine). The laminated deep thwart I build was so massive, that a elephant could sit on it, I made it a little to heavy I think - going to make a more elegant one after the paddling season :laughing .

So, what I did is build a bow slider seat like Swift Canoe corp. does it, I make some contour shaping to make the crossbar looking a little more nicer.

So I have to make a little wet sanding, and than start the varnsihing.

Have a nice weekend & thanks for all the great advice by Glen and all the others!

Chris

Image[/img]
---------------------------------------
www.natur-im-sucher.com
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Chris, the Freedom is looking great! So, what happened to the laminated bow seat slider structure that you were bending? I see you used a different method. Anyway, get the boat varnished and paddle, paddle, paddle.

And don't forget to give us a performance review. :wink
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi Glen,

the bending went fine, and teh result was very very very strong... I have done a little bit to much in using 6 strips of 3mm thickness and about 4 and a half cm wide. It took me abozt 300g resin to glue and the result was a absolut heavy thing with a weight of between 500 and 600 Gramm. We are planning to go to Sweden next month for about 12 weeks and I like to finish the canoe before, so I decided to build an easier and faster version to have the chance of coninuing the work. I like the idea of the lamnated thwart a lot, and I think that I will do a one later in the year. I will tell you about the results of varnishing the next week - but before I have to clean the workshop....

:sleepy

Best regards

Chris
---------------------------------------
www.natur-im-sucher.com
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

Wow! I am envious! :applause

I await the day that I reach a successful milestone as you have. I too would like to thank all of the contributors to this BB. I have posted so few times, but I am a daily lurker! I have learned nearly as much from this forum as I have from the answer books (Canoecraft & Kayakcraft)!

If anyone is interested in my endeavour, you can find it at:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jgheebner ... /my_photos

I apologize for the plethora of pictures, but I am a first timer. I really have not had the time to cull the pictures for a chronological, concise visual story. My original intension was to post the photos mostly to convince my friends and family that I really was getting somewhere with my project that I spent so much time preparing for (in-between moves, family life, and work/travel). Plse ignore the family pictures. One day I will get around to sorting out the boat story book (probably not until my two little time machines grow up!)
Snowman back East