Accent Strip

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
pwstndrf

Accent Strip

Post by pwstndrf »

Need help!!!!
:thinking
I glued up 1/4"-1/2"-1/4" wide pieces to create an accent strip (16 ft. Peterboro). It consists of two pieces of Aspen (white) on either side of the 1/2" piece of Red Mahogany. I was already to Bead and Cove it but found out it is 4" too short. Duh!
No more Mahogany to match. So I decided to add a Cedar Diamond shaped piece 6" long in Middle of the canoe and a 6" long Cedar piece at each end of the Aspen/Mahogany/Aspen strip.
The Aspen/Mahogany/Aspen strip is pointed too at each end and they are pointing away from center of the canoe. Figured it wouldn't be too tough to do, wrong!
Here's my question/problem.
Cutting the pointed ends of the pieces was a snap. I am looking for an accurate method of cutting the matching V-slot in the the mating pieces. Anybody out there have a method of making these cuts. I suspect they need to be quite accurate for two reasons, structural strength and astethics. I think they could be difficult to fill & make look good. Also, can I expect these glued joints to hold up during the fitting up to the mold?
Anyone want to take a crack at this one? Any ideas are appreciated.
Dean in Eureka, CA

Post by Dean in Eureka, CA »

I'm tring to envision what you've described in your words...
It sounds like the tips of your diamonds don't fall at the edges of your strips.
It sounds like the tips die right smack dab in the heart of a strip, right?
If that's the case, I would make those cuts on the bench and glue the strips together and let them dry good before placing them on the forms.
I don't think there is going to be much stress, right there at about midship, but do be very careful when handling that loose piece of spagetti.
I'd say a nice sharp chissel would be your best bet at making those "Veed female points", but it seems to me that you could make the cedar diamond bigger or offset it a bit (Using a few strips in ovarall height) and make the tips fall right at a bead and cove joint.
BTW- Did you think to make the 1/4" side of the strip where your bead is going to be about an 1/8" taller than the other 1/4" strip that got the cove? (Because about that much will be covered by the cove on the next strip)
Hope this helps, if not... post a picture of what you got going on.
Last edited by Dean in Eureka, CA on Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chuck in Pa

Post by Chuck in Pa »

The key is not to make a V shaped cut at all.

I know, I know, you have to. Well then, make 2 strips half as wide as the accent strip, then cut these at an angle matching half the diamond. glue then short side to short side, with the ends lined up, and you'll have a v shaped end.

I'll try it in asci, just cause i can.
Your current strip:
_______
-------------\
_______/

Now make 2 of these:
______
_______\

I do love ASCI, hope it helped.
-Chuck

Then glue them together like this:
__________-------- ______________
__________/-------/
__________\-------\______________
Doug

Post by Doug »

May be of interest in making accent strips;
http://michneboat.com./Making%20Accent%20Stripes.htm

Doug
"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
KARKAUAI

Post by KARKAUAI »

I'd cut them with a utility knife, trim to fit with the knife or sandpaper.
A hui ho,
Kent
The Gutt Clan

Post by The Gutt Clan »

Try overlaying the piece you want to match over the piece you need to cut. Mark the line where you want to cut with an exacto knife (or a marking knife) and pare the excess away with a knife or a chisel.
pwstndrf

Accent Stripe

Post by pwstndrf »

Hey guys thanks for the ideas!

Dean;

BTW, I didn't take into account the bead and cove when figuring the height of the strips, so I guess I'll just eat it and keep going. If the bead side is hidden the 1/8" as you stated I may re-saw it to make the other side 1/8" short too. Kinda like trying to make all four chair legs the same length, huh! I don't really want to start over. Still lots of other stuff to do.
I do like your idea of ending the "points at the bead and cove. The shape of the middle cedar piece where it connects to the stripe just becomes a different shape, a trapizoid, I think. That would be easier than chiseling l out the v- notches. But being a bit loose upstairs I think I'll try one by laying the pointed piece over the other and striking a line with a sharp knife and then using a real sharp chisel & see how it works. Wish me luck!
If I were to start over I'd do it differently or just not make it too short.
I'd like sometime (maybe) to include a picture in the text. I don't have a clue how to do it. I do have a good digital camera. Would you or Glen add a place where we could go in the web site to find this out. How many pixels to make the picture and the procedure to add it. I'm at the dangerous level in this computer stuff and I think, not alone. I feel safer with a knife or chisel in hand than a mouse.

Merci et bonjour!

pw
Glen Smith

Posting Photos

Post by Glen Smith »

Bonjour PW,

I copied a thread that I posted some time back concerning photo posting. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask them here.

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:55 pm Post subject: Posting photos

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone, I posted this "new thread" so the information will be easier to find using the "Search" function:
First of all, you cannot post pictures straight from your home computer. Your photos must be stored in a publicly accessible computer. This could be done through your Internet Service Provider if you have "free" website space included in your service. Another way is to upload your photos to a website that allows photo storage and linking. Not all photo storage sites will allow you to link your photos to other sites however. I now use http://www.photobucket.com/ for photo posting. You can open a free account and upload your photos to their website. Once uploaded, select the photo you want to post and resize it if is a very large photo. Photos that are so large that they overflow off of the screen are a pain and take a lot of bandwidth. Once the photo is ready for posting you right click on the photo then click on properties. Highlight Address URL, right click and choose copy. When you want to insert the photo in your message you click on (Img) located above then right click and choose paste. This will copy the photo URL and then you click on Close Tags located above. These are the procedures using Internet Explorer and they will be different if using another browser. The next step is to click on (Preview) located below to see if everything is fine. Make any necessary corrections then click on (Submit) located below.

Good luck.