tractor style seat

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
reinbilt

tractor style seat

Post by reinbilt »

Does anyone have a source for wooden tractor style canoe seats? My Google search is only finding plastic units.
Its Me

Post by Its Me »

This seat?

If so its Green Valley boats

http://www.greenval.com/FAQbowsliderseat.html
reinbilt

Post by reinbilt »

Not really. The seat I'm looking for is solid wood, no weaving of any nature. There is some carving on the surface of the seat to contour to your rear end. Thanks for the reply though.
c2g

Waters Dancing

Post by c2g »

Waters Dancing has a kit for a wooden tractor seat. Their website is
http://watersdancing.com/
Dave
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

c2g, are you sure they sell the seat separately?
KenC

Post by KenC »

Not a source of seats, as much as a source of inspiration...courtesy of Nick Schade.

There's a nice little photo sequence here on how to make one like this.

c2g

Waters Dancing seat

Post by c2g »

I thought that I had read somewhere that they sold it separately, but I don't see it listed on their site for sale as an individual item. If someone were interested, it probably wouldn't hurt to e-mail them and ask.
Dave
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Dave, I emailed Donnie at Waters Dancing and you are right, they do sell the seat kit separately. Here is the response I got:

"We do sell the seat kit as a separate item.
The wood parts kit is $39.50 and the seat hardware kit (A1H) is $17.88.
The sub total is $57.38 plus G.S.T. of $4.02 for a total of $61.40.
Plus shipping."
patrick

Post by patrick »

Hmmm. that picture of the solid wood tractor style seat looks nice. Mabye i should convince my dad to start making a cedar strip tractor next?
reinbilt

Post by reinbilt »

Thanks for all the response. That Guillemot seat is exactly what I'm looking for. Ploting a "rear end" profile might be difficult but the assembly looks fairly simple.
KenC

Post by KenC »

Well, it seems the Guillemot seat referred to above, and the entire kayak it is attached to, has been added to the collection of the Museum of Modern Art, in New York City. Turns out the kayak was commissioned by the wife of a former curator at the MMA, as a gift for his retirement. He has since passed away, and the kayak was donated to the Museum's collection. (from a blurb in WoodenBoat magazine)

I think I will try making one of these seats some day (although I can't imagine it being more comfortable than my carved foam butt-bucket), but I won't be offended if it doesn't become a museum piece.

Bravo, Nick.