Detail Strip

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
The Gutt Clan

Detail Strip

Post by The Gutt Clan »

I'm getting ready to finally start building my Freedom 17. I've got the materials to start building my strong back and station molds. All this will hopefully be cut and assembled this weekend. I found an adequate supply of clear WRC locally (Pittsford Lumber for anyone in the Rochester NY area). I'm hoping to rip and plane my strips during the next few weeks after work.

So, after that all that is left is gluing, a little more gluing and finally some more gluing of strips. Since I will probably reach the feature strip relatively quickly, I figured I should start building it now so it will be ready in a couple of weeks. I'm debating a few different designs, and was wondering what the consensus was for how wide a feature strip can be made and still wrap around the curve of the boat easily. Should I stick with the standard 3/4" strip or can I go a couple of inches wide?
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Because of the slight tumblehome your canoe may allow a wider accent strip than other models. The accent strip on my redbird is about 2-3/4" wide which was nearly too big for the tumblehome of this design. Less is better.