Who is building?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Doug

Who is building?

Post by Doug »

Who is building?
(now)
and what are you building?

-I'm starting an "Osprey" ( http://www.greenval.com/osprey.html )

I have ready;
-strips (coved & beaded)
-seat (caned) ( http://www.greenval.com/FAQbowsliderseat.html )
-yoke
-paddle
-strong back
-mold stations
-decks

All the best,
Doug
"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
sedges

two hulls

Post by sedges »

Currently scaping and sanding the inside of a 16' English 20( from the first edition of the canoecraft book) and fairing and sanding the outside of a Catspaw dinghy(plans modified from WoodenBoat plans).
fisherguytoo

15 ft Chestnut Prospector

Post by fisherguytoo »

:wink :big grin
Completing the inwall installation on my 15' Prospector today.
Hope to have it in the water in two weeks. SLOW, yes, but good.
I try not to progress at such speed that I do not enjoy the task.
davidb54321

Post by davidb54321 »

I am building a 16' Bear Mt Prospector. I have my seats made to Martin Step's plans. I am working on my yoke and decks(using red birch). I have the hull sanded and am about to put the glass and epoxy on as soon as my cellar dries up. My goal is July 4th.(this year)
David Bartlett

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"
http://photobucket.com/albums/b81/davidb54321/
Erik, Belgium

Post by Erik, Belgium »

building a Greenland qajaq, Disko Bay, woodstrip method for my daughter Kara.
see http://users.pandora.be/kano-kayak/DiskoBay.htm

Erik, Belgium
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

The Summer is quite short around here so I don't usually build boats at this time of year. Paddling and fishing are my Summer activities. However, I did finally varnish my 13 foot yak that I built last year. I have to refinish the outwales on my Hiawatha (black fungus) and revarnish the hull. I also have to try to complete the 6 foot display canoe I started last Fall because I want to bring it to the Rendezvous in August.

Then of course I have some non-boat-related jobs to do around the house.
joatmon

15' Ranger

Post by joatmon »

I'm also at the inwale stage, scuppers are layed out and ready to cut. I'm having a blast on this woodwork. Tailoring each piece to fit all the angles (stem, tumblehome, sheer, etc.) is proving a fun challenge. Outwales are cut, yoke is carved, decks are glued and seats are ready to be covered (still undecided on covering). I'm working towards a June launch since my wifey will be on vacation. Have fun building.
An Irishman has an abiding sense of tragedy which sustains him through temporary periods of joy.
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

I am still working on my Endeavour 17 that I started a while before Christmas. I am back from travel now and hope to fibreglass the outside of the hull this week. :smile
Snowman back East
marchmyres

Post by marchmyres »

I'm building a 16' Prospector from Canoe Craft. Its' the biggest DIY undertaking ever - I can barely saw to a line. I suspect the boat will be an excellent reflection of my abilities, but it's getting there.

I will be glassing the interior this week, all the trim (ash) is complete and has been dry fitted. So, apart from stuffing up the glassing or sanding through the hull, I've almost nothing to worry about...

If only I hadn't seen that photo of the Minnie Miss, I might have sworn I only had one boat in me.
Peter Kotowych

who is building

Post by Peter Kotowych »

Hey,

I am towards the end of a 2.5 yr journey and am building a Bob's Special.
I glued the decks in today and am readying the outwales for installation.
Then the seats, thwart, a little sanding and varnishing.
I can't wait to launch.

Pete
fz7m0d

Post by fz7m0d »

I am working on a Bear Mountain Prospector.

The inside got a wetout coat, and then life got in the way of continuing.
I'll hopefully get back to it this week. I didn't really want to have to sand at all between coats. Oh, well.

I've got the seat frames and gunnels roughed out.
Bob
(Confucius Say... Asking a stupid question is better than repairing a stupid mistake.)
Gini

Bob's Special

Post by Gini »

I'm soon to be starting a Bob's Special, which I plan to build at the 15' length. Materials are scheduled to arrive on Friday and I hope to be starting on Saturday. I've built several S&G kayaks, but this is my first cedar strip of any kind.
The Gutt Clan

Post by The Gutt Clan »

I'm just starting my Freedom 17.

I picked up my WRC last weekend from Pittsford Lumber. I think it was probably roughly $5/bd ft. I wanted to go with a nice redish colored wood but when I wasn't finding enough of that, I switched to a nice brownish tan color. They were very understanding as I pulled pretty much every board they had out and sorted them on the floor by color and grain.

I picked up my plywood from Home Depot Friday night. I had purchased the plywood for the strong back and station molds last fall; however, the strongback plywood ended up being used to build a plywood storage rack. The week after I bout the first batch of plywood, Home Depot had a stack of paint grade cabinet plywood for $30 a sheet. Perfect stuff for building painted cabinets and workshop fixtures. So I bought a bunch of sheets of it, then needed somewhere to store them. c'est la vie.

Since I cannot easily get 16ft boards into my basement workshop I borrowed a contractor's table saw from a friend. Unfortunately, he never cleaned the grease from it when he got it, so I have a fair bit of work cleaning and tuning his saw before I can use it. Not that big of a deal because I still need to design/plagarize/build my feature strip, build my strongback, cut out my station molds and laminate my stems before I need to actually start ripping strips.

I'm hoping to have all the above done before 5/21 when my new puppy comes home. Probably not going to happen at this point, but hey, plans were meant to be changed and without aggressive schedules I would never get anything done.

I really want to have the canoe finished by late fall. I know that will not have me in the water until next spring but realistically, with my normal backpacking/hiking schedule and our new puppy it is going to be a busy summer. Perhaps I will even try canoeing with my local club once or twice this summer. I hope I enjoy it...

:smile

-andrew
Its Me

Post by Its Me »

I am on a red bird.

Bought and built the strong back in August '04

By jan 1 2005 I installed strip #1

Presently both outside and inside hulls are glassed and the decks have been installed.

Th gunnels are made but not on.
The seats are roughed out waiting to be routed and caned.

The yoke and thwarts have note been started
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

We're about on the same schedule ast It's Me with our Redbird. Decks went on last Friday night. Seats waiting on Cane. Outwales ready to go on any day now. Still haven't sanded the hull yet (in or out). Would like to finish this month but doubtful. Maybe June
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com