Costs for building a canoe

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Bassbug

Costs for building a canoe

Post by Bassbug »

I read with surprise today, a response by Cliff Jacobson concerning costs for building a solo stripper http://www.piragis.com/cliffjacobson/qu ... nswer.html for $300 and 100 hours. I think both are underestimated by a significant factor. For those keeping track, could you post your estimate of costs and time?

Here is mine for our Redbird ($915)

redwood (which is cheaper here than western red cedar) $225 (1X8X20' planks which I milled to save money
fiberglass cloth - $100
epoxy resin and hardner $260
plans $80
wood for station molds and the strongback $50
wood/cane for the gunwales, deck, stems, seats $100
finish $50
supplies $50
hours: 400

first time in the water - priceless
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

The building time and cost doesn't seem realistic for a first-time builder. After building a few boats I have found alternate sources for lower priced materials and picked up a bit of speed.

My first boat, a Hiawatha, involved 500 hours and about $1000 Canadian. I could build another one now in about 200 hours for about $500.

I haven't read his article yet but I know costs and build time do tend to vary a bit. One of our members built a Bob's Special from a kit in just 80 hours! However, a beginner who starts from scratch will probably require a minimum of 300 hours and if he/she hasn't researched material sources, the cost will be much higher than suggested.
Erik, Belgium

Post by Erik, Belgium »

Cost:
Cost varies a lot on HOW people build. Some buy ready-to-go kits with all things included. Others start buying electric tools.

My approach is to keep it as basic as possible. As many (often 40 yrs old or more) handtools as possible. Ripping strips: Although I don't have a table saw myself, I have milled the strips myseld until now, using a friends' table saw. The rest of all the wood is shaped by hand. I really spent a lot of time on the first strips to get them fitting perfectly. But I am sure that experience is quickly gained. Now, I spend no more then 1 or 2 minutes to shape strips, including the rolling bevel. Rolling bevel indeed, no bead and cove no more for me. Also too expensive, not not "basic".

Building time
Depends on the level of finish you want. Also experience in stripping, glassing the hull... Also dependant on whether you build with staples or without. I personally don't mind about building time; I like spending some hours in my shop every night and weekend. With some old Jazz music in the air. What more can a happy person ask for ?

The total cost of the Disko Bay kayak I'm building will be a bit less then 250 euro (Wilsor epoxy using nordic spruce strips). My first canoe was 1000 euro (West System and cedar strips). Cedar is awfully expensive in Belgium.

happy building to all of u,
Erik, Belgium.
The Gutt Clan

Post by The Gutt Clan »

Hrmmm... I haven't even started yet and I'm running close to $450US.

I bought a lot of WRC (probably around 70 bd ft) for $350
- I wanted the extra wood so I could be choosy about matching color and grain
- I always find a use for 'extra' wood around my shop
- If I enjoy building the Freedom 17, I may start on a second canoe

My plywood costs for the molds and strongback were not too bad at probably $80. I could have probably saved a little by buying lower quality wood or using scrap but I wanted to start with the best possible shape I could.

I'm not counting tools because for me they are multi-use... I already have a relatively full workshop and any new tools will just get added to the 'tool' budget rather than the canoe budget.

I haven't bought my epoxy, or hardwoods for the decks, gunwales, stems or seats yet.

So, I'm at $450 and counting...

As far as time goes, since I haven't even milled a strip yet, I suppose I could say I'm at zero hours; however, I spent the better part of an afternoon sorting through a pile of WRC and then some time picking up other supplies... So I would guess I am at about 5 hours of time and I haven't cut a single board.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Don't forget the hours of enjoyment you spend browsing this and other websites looking for great ideas.... :laughing

We lost track of the effort for building our Redbird. It's been "lots". I would guess that a 2nd canoe would go much faster (maybe 40% faster). Now that we've spent so much time scratching our heads, we could make much better progress the 2nd time around.

I've also lost track of the cost (of materials) but that cost is by now swamped by the cost of new tools I was able to "justify" for the project. :eyebrows

In the end I expect we will have a great canoe and more importantly (to me anyway) a much closer relationship with my son - priceless.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Tom in MN

Cost of Canoe

Post by Tom in MN »

I do not think $300 and 100 hours is out of line. However, if you build with WRC, this may be underestimating. I have built a number of canoes out of basswood and pine and can keep my lumber costs at around $2.00 per board ft. For a 16 ft canoe, with 3/16 inch strips, you can build it for about 30 board feet, or $60.00 for lumber. If you use Raka epoxy and their 5 oz. cloth, single layer on each side, it will run you about $175 for glass and epoxy. Add in about $50 worth of hardwood for the gunnels, decks, seat and yoke and some sandpaper, and cheap varnish and you are right about $300. I am an experienced woodworker, and when I built my first canoe I did not need to buy any tools, already had everything I needed. If you need to buy some tools, then no way for $300. You are probably looking at $500-600 middle of the road materials cost.

Of course, if you use WRC, West epoxy and glass, with exotic hardwood for gunnels, etc, you could easily go over $1500 in materials.

My first canoe was the 16 ft Laker from Gilpatricks book. This is a big canoe, with a beam of 40 inches. I kept track of my hours and it took about 125 hours, that included planing the lumber and making forms, strips, etc. Keep in mind that the canoes out of Gilpatricks book do not use laminated stems (which he claims are uneccesary) which really cuts down on the building time. I do not think 100 hours is out of line. The class I teach has built a number of 14' puddle ducks, and we build one in 8 three hour sessions. There are usually 3-4 people working on the canoe at a time. This would equate to about 100 person hours.
joatmon

prices

Post by joatmon »

I am installing my trim on a 15' Ranger and my costs were as follows:

WRC and plywood for strongback and forms $253.00
Epoxy and glass (US Composites) 187.00
Assorted epoxy supplies and sandpaper 35.00
Cherry for gunnels (5/4) 28.00
Cabinet scrapers (set of 3) 16.00
Brass screws 15.00

I have lots of sandpaper left and a full 8'x5/4" cherry board as well as assorted plywood scraps and cedar strips(always useful). I had all the wood for seats and decks from my scavenging at wood shop dumpsters (mahogany and sycamore). The only things left for me to buy are varnish, seat bolts and covering for the seats. I don't expect to spent over 50.00 more dollars.
As far as time goes, I bought my wood March 23, and working four or five days a week, I expect to be finished sometime in June. This canoe is my first and while I know woodworking, boatbuilding has alot of moves that I had to learn the hard way. (the next one will be faster :)
Spending the day working wood and learning how to do something new is reward enough for me but with this project I can go out and spend a weekend with the wife or go fishing with my dog. And don't forget the looks of envy from people that have a cookie cutter canoe.
One more little note, others seeing that you can build a canoe with your own hands may take it as inspiration and try, themselves, to build something. To inspire someone else to create is a wonderful thing.
Just my take on building. Have fun!
An Irishman has an abiding sense of tragedy which sustains him through temporary periods of joy.