Looking for lumber

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
North Wind

Looking for lumber

Post by North Wind »

Does anybody know where I can get ahold of some clear cedar in long lenghts around Colu,mbus Ohio area?
ASK ME,If I can help,I will.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I suggest you try the lumberyards at this link: http://www.wrcla.org/aboutus/certifiedd ... ors.asp#oh

You might get lucky.
reinbilt

Post by reinbilt »

North Wind,
I obtained the WRC for my first boat at 5th. Ave Lumber in Columbus, however I think it was a fluke that they had it available. I've moved from that area and now buy it from Fingerlee Lumber in Ann Arbor. McNally Lumber in Columbus might be worth a try also. They had long lenghts of spruce at one time. Good luck in your search.
AlanWS

Post by AlanWS »

You might also call to see whether any lumberyards in your area would be willing to check around and order it from one of their dealers, even if they don't normally stock it. Their cost of shipping, adding it to a truck full of lumber already on its way, is nothing compared to what you'd pay. That worked for me, after they had all told me they didn't have any here in Milwaukee.
Alan
Buckeye1

Post by Buckeye1 »

I'm over in Dayton and I got 16' boards of good, clear quality Western Red at Requarth's in downtown Dayton. I know its a bit of a trip, but the quality and price were excellant. I took quite a long time selecting my boards from this huge pile and the guy was very patient. Also, its where the Wright Brothers bought their wood for the 1903 airplane.