rawhide lacing

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
fz7m0d

rawhide lacing

Post by fz7m0d »

I've heard a few stories of guys buying rawhide lacing over the internet and getting lacing of ununiform width and/or thickness. Has anyone purchased rawhide lacing from Cariboucry, and what is their quality like?
Bob
(Confucius Say... Asking a stupid question is better than repairing a stupid mistake.)
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

One fellow I know of ordered 3/16" rawhide and it was very uneven in width/thickness. He then relaced his seats with 3/8" rawhide and it was just fine. I believe he got the rawhide from Cariboucry in both cases.
fisherguytoo

rawhide

Post by fisherguytoo »

:embarassed :crying :sad
I purchased 3 / 16 ' rawhide from Caribouncry recently. Comments as follows;

Product.......................................very unsatisfactory.

Communication...........................three E-mails by purchaser.
no replys from vendor.

Delivery......................................very late (like three weeks).

Comment....................................the material is being returned .
I purchased the 3 / 16' rawhide from Dave at
www.rawhidelace.com on friday and had the
material on tuesday and the quality is outstanding.

I can tell you more in private at fisherguytoo@volcano.net
Erik

Post by Erik »

I also purchased from Dave Bernstrom. Very very EXCELLENT service and products. You can select what type of hide you want, he cuts it for you and ships it quickly. He did exactly what he said he would when he said he would, and his products are A1.

See some photos of my seats, i used 3/8" lace. Dave also puts a chamfer across the top of the lace which prevents the sharp edge. Image
Erik

Post by Erik »

fz7m0d

Post by fz7m0d »

Thanks, guys. Bernstrom lace it is. I am going to go with 3/16" lace spaced approx. 3/4" apart. I have just about completed the spring honey-do list, and am aching to get back at the canoe.
Bob
(Confucius Say... Asking a stupid question is better than repairing a stupid mistake.)
fisherguytoo

lacing instructions

Post by fisherguytoo »

I am varnishing my seat frames and plan to start lacing next week.

Do you have instructions ?? I would be interested in the proceedure that
you are going to use. What are they or where can I find them ????

I plan to use the instructions that are on the WCHA site. Looks good and
also a little complicated.
If you would like to see them go to google and enter
wcha.org/wcj/wc_v19_n6/rawhide.html
:thinking :rolling eyes
Erik

Post by Erik »

I searched and searched the web, phone calls to places, probably in all i spent several hours trying to find better instructions. all you have to do to follow the WHCA instructions is look at the drawings of the specific knots, the first loop (make a slit and pull threw) and each subsequent knot are the same. there must be odd number on each side (each side must have the same number) so draw a centre line on each side and then devide up the segments for how many knots or ties you will make, (i used 5 per side and it was easy enough to lace and its very comfy).

the only trick while laceing that is very poorly described on those instructions is the sides, on one side (same side as you start on, call this side one (1)) the strip comming off of this side will go straight across to the other side(side 2), which means that on side 1 the strip comming in will be on an angle, and on side two the leaving strip will be on an angle. well this angle is not countered by the straight strip (meaning that it will try to slip down the seat frame in the direction of the strip on the angle), so after the following knot(the next knot on teh same side) before you continue on to the next, loop your lace back up to the previouse around it, then back over and continue on...

Whoow. does that make sense? all you can see on the WHCA instructions is a bundle of twists on each side. i took that doccument and imported to microsoft word and expanded that picture up really big, this helped very much to have printed off to look at while doing it. the biggest thing is to just see what has to be done, and work it out as you go, you dont need to follow the directions on that page... OH AND BY THE WAY, i changed the way it ended, i ended my last tie up where the firs tie came from.

If you look at the drawing it ends and leaved an odd look, it looks like a strip should come off the ending tie and down to the right, i did this then wound back up the side (1) and to the first tie (one with the slit, the very begining). this accomplished a much cleaner and more finished look, and it holes all the ties secure on that side.