relief in seat affect caning?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
joatmon

relief in seat affect caning?

Post by joatmon »

I want to add a little relief and contour in the thigh area of the seat (similar to tractor style seat) and was wondering if this will cause problems during caning?
An Irishman has an abiding sense of tragedy which sustains him through temporary periods of joy.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I guess that would depend on the degree of relief. I have seen caned tractor style seats so that seems to work ok. A few builders have made or used seats that have a curve or dip in them such as this Redbird built by Bill Toups.

Doug

Post by Doug »

I see Bill's canoe has the Vigin Mary's blessing.
So it must offer little relief.

Doug
"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
joatmon

What a relief

Post by joatmon »

Thanks for the picture Glen, I wasn't planning on going that deep on my relief, so I guess I shouldn't have any trouble.
An Irishman has an abiding sense of tragedy which sustains him through temporary periods of joy.
Doug

Post by Doug »

http://www.greenval.com/FAQbowsliderseat.html
The plans are $20.
(Step by step construction & caneing)

Doug

"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
tom in caledonia

Post by tom in caledonia »

Glen, I seem to remember plans for the curved seats being posted at one time but I can't find them now. Do you have a copy you could share? Are they steam bent?
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Tom, I don't recall coming across any plans for curved seats. I have seen some built by members here and some that are sold ready made but no plans, sorry.