Abrasion repairs

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Oshan OkaPini

Abrasion repairs

Post by Oshan OkaPini »

My two daughters and I took my Freedom 17 out on Black Creek in south central Mississippi this last weekend.
The water levels were rather low, so we hit just about every gravel bar that there was in the creek. :frightened Most of the hull received some abrasion that can be addressed with a new coat of varnish. The lower end of the rear stem took the majority of the hits with abrasion down into the fiberglass mat and now needs some repair patching. Can regular 15 minute epoxy be used to apply a fiberglass patch or is there the possibility of incompatibility between the epoxies? I have noticed that the Home Depot type of epoxy seems to remain rather flexible, even after several months. I don't have any more of the original RAKA resin and catalyst to use on it. I am assuming that regular sanding will be enough to provide the necessary mechanical bond between the two materials.

Thanks in advance.

Norman in MS
Right now, there is no cure.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I am not familiar with this product but I imagine it would be ok for a temporary repair. I would do a more permanent repair with the usual epoxy as soon as possible though. Maybe some others here have used this type of epoxy and can provide more input.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I have used a 2 part epoxy that came in a tube. Some of it stuck and some of it didn't. I suspect my surface preparation tho. Do a thorough job of sanding to remove any varnish before applying.
Dave