How long?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders

How long?

< 1 Month
9%
1-3 Months
13%
3-6 Months
19%
6-12 Months
22%
12-24 Months
22%
> 24 Months
16%

Total votes: 32

canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

My last canoe, which was a big one, took me about 400 hours spread over almost a year. In the middle of that I moved a couple of hundred miles and changed jobs. I was still single. Since I got married, I haven't even been able to get the shop set up yet. I did some custom stuff on this one: hand-cut ebony and abalone inlay, scuppered gunwales, mortised thwarts and yoke, hand-woven cane seats, the front one is adjustable. Maybe 500 hours now that I start to add all of that up. Best time I've spent short of actually paddling it.

Greg
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

Old thread, but cool.

I'm hoping to finish my next canoe build in under a month. I'd really like it to work out to three weeks. One and a half weeks of building in the evenings, one week of epoxy curing, and the rest varnish and finishing.
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

My first kayak (strip-built guillemot) took something like 20 months, intermittent. People think it's a long time but it's a hobby so who cares. Family things come first and most of my projects of this sort occur after 11 pm.

Now that I've stated that the time doesn't bother me, I would kinda like to build a stitch and glue to get on the water more quickly.

Cheers,
Bryan