Cedar strips with knots

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
mvettori

Cedar strips with knots

Post by mvettori »

I am close to closing in the hull of my Bobs Special and I ran out of strips. I went to the local Home Depot and bought a plank of cedar to strip down. The best plank I could find had several small knots in it. I made several strips and there are several that have small knots. They look really nice and I don't mind them being there, but I'm worried about two things:

1) will the area around the knot be a weak spot for the hull, and
2) will the epoxy and fiberglass adhere to the knot area properly

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike in Phialdelphia
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

You should have no problems with the knots, particularly if they are tight! Clear wood is hard to find, and many builders find the knots to be aestetically pleasing. You may have to take a bit more care around them while faring your hull. Don't worry and have fun!!!
davidb54321

Post by davidb54321 »

Mike,

As Dave stated, knots that are tight and within the edges of the strip should not give trouble, and will add character to your boat.
David Bartlett

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"
http://photobucket.com/albums/b81/davidb54321/
Doug

Post by Doug »

A knotty canoe is cool.
It can add character to a boat.
I would guess that any knot larger than 1 cm will fail when worked.
The strength in the canoe is the epoxy & fiberglass.

The cedar, today .....is cosmetic?
It was used in the past because it resisted rot, light and there was a lot of it.

Doug

"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I purchased some boards of Eastern White Cedar that were very knotty. If a strip broke at a knot, it become two shorter strips. After ripping the strips and routing the bead and cove, very few strips actually broke and they got used in one boat or another. Using a spokeshave to fair the hull was a bit tricky aound the knots because of the swirly grain. The knots caused no problems with the epoxy. Most people like the looks of the knots and they feel my knotty boat has more character!
cedar stroker

Post by cedar stroker »

Just make sure sure the knots are nice and tight. I once had a couple areas that where loose knots and did manage to wiggle around during the lay-up of the glass. If they are Nice and tight knots,then you should't have a problem.Knots are extremely hard,and might have a staple or 2 that won't work in that knot area.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I built a Bobs Special a few years ago. It was my first canoe and some of the cedar had some knots. At the time I wasn't happy with the knots at all. But in time I have gotten to really like them. They're kind of a focal point. Knots look good. You have to use a little more care when fairing them in .
Dave
Bud

Knots

Post by Bud »

Here is a picture of one of my canoes made from eastern white pine with many knots. No problems.
Bud
Erik

Post by Erik »

Budd that looks cool!! i like it!!