Epifanes High Gloss Extra UV filter????

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
joatmon

Epifanes High Gloss Extra UV filter????

Post by joatmon »

I used this varnish, thinned, for the first coat on the trim and paddles and noticed, as I was cleaning the can, that it says for use ABOVE the waterline. Is this going to be a problem? I thought that Epifanes was the good stuff?
An Irishman has an abiding sense of tragedy which sustains him through temporary periods of joy.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I think that all spar varnishes are stated as being for use above the waterline. This just means that you should not leave the boat in the water 24/7 which isn't usually the case with canoes and kayaks. Relax, your varnish will do just fine.
joatmon

WHEW!!!

Post by joatmon »

Thanks Glen, I was really freaking out thinking about sanding all that down to bare wood again. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
An Irishman has an abiding sense of tragedy which sustains him through temporary periods of joy.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I guess it can make for a panicky situation but you have chosen to use an excellent varnish and the gloss will last a long time. Some spar varnishes go on very shiny but are more of a semi-gloss after just one year exposure. One of my kayaks has been exposed to the elements 24 hours a day for the past three years and it is still very glossy. It has four coats of Epifanes High Gloss on it.
joatmon

High gloss

Post by joatmon »

Glad to know it will last. The extra UV protection sold me on it. I was a bit nervous(understatement) and really dreading all that sanding again. Even worse than that was the thought of cleaning the shop again, boy was it dusty. All's well that ends well, though. I can't wait to get her in the water. Thanks again, nice to have your expert opinion along with your exhaustive knowledge. I know that many of us rookies out here look to you for our problems and I just wanted to say that we appreciate it.