high humidity

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
joatmon

high humidity

Post by joatmon »

Okay, varnishing is coming out pretty good considering it's 89 degrees plus outside. (grrr) It is taking a little longer to dry though. I was wondering if anyone has added Japan dryer to help the varnish dry and if so, did it affect the quality of the finished product? I was hoping for a coat a day progress but it looks like, unless I can speed the drying up, it will be a coat every two. I have more than adequate ventilation as well as a dehumidifier going BTW.
An Irishman has an abiding sense of tragedy which sustains him through temporary periods of joy.
Its Me

Post by Its Me »

I am running into the same problem. The Florida summer is kicking and with it high humidity. This weekend I thought I would get three coats on but I only got one.

last night I applied the second coat but I thinned it a little with minerial spiirts and the thinner coat seemed to dry much faster then the uncut coat. I will still allow two days to dry before I even put a sander on it. I pan to start flipping the canoe applying a coat to the outside then the inside.
joatmon

got it

Post by joatmon »

I fixed the humidity problem. Got the dehumidifier going, full bore, in the garage. :twisted evil The second coat dried right up. Should be able to put 3rd coat (barely thinned) on the trim Thursday, with no problem. Then I can flip, and get busy on the outside. Good luck down there in Florida, Its me.
An Irishman has an abiding sense of tragedy which sustains him through temporary periods of joy.