Redbird completion

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
mtpocket

Redbird completion

Post by mtpocket »

99.99% complete

Last edited by mtpocket on Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Wow! Really stunning! Did you keep a record of the hours spent on that beauty? Have you weighed the boat yet? When do you plan on launching it, or are you just going to hang it on a wall like the work of art it is?
joatmon

nice

Post by joatmon »

Beautiful job! When is launch day? And where are your paddles?
An Irishman has an abiding sense of tragedy which sustains him through temporary periods of joy.
KARKAUAI

Post by KARKAUAI »

Spectacular!!! You've GOT to take it to the Rendezvous.

What's next???
A hui ho,
Kent
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Thanks Guys,

I have not weighed her yet. I am guessing that she will weigh around 64 pounds. I could have built lighter but strength was my main concern. I have no idea how many hours this project took but certainly more than it should have. As you know, many months passed without me being able to work on it. Launching will be within the next couple of weeks. The paddles have not been built yet so that is next. I will be taking her to the rendezvous.

This Redbird has been one of the most satisfying projects I have ever worked on. At times, I didn't have the skill necessary for such a task so I came to the forum for answers. She may have been built in my garage with my hands but she is the result of many pieces of great advice from the members of this forum. Without the help of so many, this never would have happened. I want to thank every single one of you for your assistance along the way.

This Bird was never intended to be "artwork" and it really isn't. I have made mistakes over the months that an artist would have avoided. It is to be a "user", meaning that I intend on using it as often as possible. Only a builder that is well seasoned in patience can build a boat that is art. Patience is not my strong suit, just ask my wife.

My next big project will be a 15'5" kayak that a very special friend designed for me personally. This is scheduled to begin sometime this fall and completion is depending on my skill level. Again, I will need more advice.

I guess I should pay my membership dues for another year. :laughing
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

I don't have words...it's beautiful!!!!
RonMc1954

Post by RonMc1954 »

WOW!! Looks great!! As they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I vote "A WORK OF ART" that can be used and admired for fine craftsmanship.
Ron Mc
reinbilt

Post by reinbilt »

Pat yourself on the back for that creation. One of the finest looking canoes I've seen.
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

An AMAZING job, MT,
you should be proud of your efforts. The inlay stripes are great, and the care you took with matching and offsetting other strips for effect are just stunning. You will definitely turn heads wherever you go.

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of you and your beautiful canoe on the water soon,

Greg
François

Post by François »

Absolutely beautifull, I guess that some of the people that have seen it suggested that it should have a place in a museum.
Nachako

Post by Nachako »

WOW !!!!!!! Be careful you don't cause a traffic accident while taking it to the water, I think you just raised the bar for the rest of us.
Its Me

Post by Its Me »

Wow! great job. I love the color patterns and contrats.

:smile
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

MT, Fantastic job. It's been fun to watch your work over the several months. I"ve appreciated your insights and contributions to this forum. They have been very valuable to Patrick and I as we work on our Redbird. We've been out of town the past 9 days on a backpacking and canoe trip. Your results have re-energized us to finish our canoe.

Thanks for posting the great pictures. I'm sure you're proud!

Congratulations
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
pwstndrf

Post by pwstndrf »

:applause

Awesome Job! I gives me re-newed incentive to keep strippin'. I just hope my 16' Peterborough can look anywhere near like yours. Congratulations! Please share some pics "on-the -water" soon.

Phil Westendorf
Saginaw, MI
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Thanks everyone for the very nice words. It never fails, if I want a little boost, all I have to do is come to this forum. So many nice people out there in the world and this forum brings them all together.

I just put the second coat of varnish on my paddles, one more to go, then some evening this week I am going to get it wet. I may go alone in case I embarrass myself.