Foam brush & varnish

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Peter Kotowych

Foam brush & varnish

Post by Peter Kotowych »

Hey,

I am about to varnish the canoe. I bought foam brushes which state on the handle, 'not for shellac or lacquer'. Of course I noticed this after I bought them. Would they be suitable for Epifanes varnish? They seem to be of good quality.

Thanks
Pete
GeirB

Post by GeirB »

It says the same on my foam brushes, have had no problems at all with the Epifanes varnish. Used a foam roller (?) to apply the varnish and the foam brush after, as a flat brush.

GeirB
Doug

Post by Doug »

May be of interest;
http://www.greenval.com/FAQvarnishing.html

Back-up on this web site and check out the "Builders Notes"

All the best,
Doug

"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
JimND

Post by JimND »

The foam brushes with the wood handles, not plastic, will work just fine, especially for tipping off the finish. There is neither shellac nor lacquer in varnish.
AlanWS

Post by AlanWS »

Many work, and it's not likely to be a problem. However, if the brush disintegrates and leaves bits of foam on your boat, or the handle dissolves and leaves discolored splotches, that would be very upsetting. All you need to do to check is to pour a little varnish into a paper cup, put a brush in it and let it stand for half an hour, and rub it around. If there is a problem with the brush, you will have noticed it without damaging your boat or contaminating your varnish.
Alan
davidb54321

Post by davidb54321 »

I have used foam brushes with varnish with no problems as far as the varnish affecting the brush. Some solvents will loosen the glue that holds the handle to the foam, but if that happens during clean up, I just throw out the brush.
David Bartlett

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"
http://photobucket.com/albums/b81/davidb54321/
Dave

Post by Dave »

I just re-varnished one of my canoes today with a foam roller and a foam brush. Works good for me.
Dave
Peter Kotowych

foam brush

Post by Peter Kotowych »

Thanks for the information guys.
Just a thought.
Since lighting is such an issue when varnishing, I was thinking of using (I'm not sure the correct name of it) a miner's head lamp. The thing is worn like a hat. It always faces the area being varnished. Provides good illumination. Why not, eh? Has anyone tried this?
(too bad there wasn't a an emoticons with a miner's lamp. Perfect spot for it. Work on that one will you Glen.). Like this, Pete?
ImageGlen.

Pete
KARKAUAI

Post by KARKAUAI »

Seems to me you'd want the light coming toward you at an angle to the surface you're varnishing...like looking for all those little shiny spots before you varnish.
A hui ho,
Kent
Peter Kotowych

foam brush

Post by Peter Kotowych »

Glen,
You are the best!!
Just what the doctor ordered!!

Pete
KARKAUAI

Post by KARKAUAI »

I'm about ready to varnish my new outrigger (had the first one sprayed professionally), and have been reviewing what I can find about varnishing. Seems like most folks are final-sanding the epoxy with 220 grit, but Martin Step of Green Valley says to use nothing finer than 120. Has anybody had a problem with the varnish not sticking after a 220grit final epoxy sanding?
A hui ho,
Kent
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I normally do the final epoxy sanding with 120 grit however I have done one boat with wet sanding up to 320 grit and the varnish adhered just fine. For between coat sanding I use 220 grit dry.
KARKAUAI

Post by KARKAUAI »

Mahalo, Glen, I'm going to put one more coat on the decks and gunwales, then start trying to clean up the shop before varnishing.
A hui ho,
Kent