Scratches on kayak bottom

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
keith

Scratches on kayak bottom

Post by keith »

What is the best way to cover light scratches on the hull also what do you recommend when you have deeper scratches down to the weave of the glass.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

If the scratches attain the glass, you could lightly sand the scratches with 120 grit or finer paper, clean and apply a few coats of epoxy to fill the scratches. Allow to dry for a few days then scrape flush with the hull surface. Sand lightly with 120 grit and apply a few coats of varnish.

For scratches that don't attain the glass just sand lightly with 120 grit and apply a few coats of varnish.

The repaired areas might show but eventually you will have to sand the entire hull for re-varnishing. In the meantime, enjoy paddling your kayak.
fisherguytoo

question

Post by fisherguytoo »

:confused
Can / should epoxy be applied over varnish ??

OR, must the varnish be sanded down to the existing epoxy
prior to appling new epoxy ??
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I have never tried to apply epoxy over varnish but all the info I have read says that it will not adhere. You could always try it and let us know. :thinking
cedar stroker

Post by cedar stroker »

I've applied epoxy over a varnished C-2 racing canoe,and there were several spots,
that actually bubbled up and never stuck on.I would never suggest this method to anyone,only lots of headache. Sand varnish,take's some time,but in long run,will WORTH the effort.