Scuppers - how much solid gunwhale for seat attachment?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Jeff in Farmington, MI

Scuppers - how much solid gunwhale for seat attachment?

Post by Jeff in Farmington, MI »

I intend to add scuppers to my inner gunwhales, and I am currently trying to determine an appropriate size and spacing. I've just been using a trial and error method using marks on masking tape placed on the edge of the hull.

This is actually more difficult than I thought. Since I want the scuppers to extend past the seats, from deck to deck, I started by marking the position of a 5 inch long scupper centered at the stern seat, then alternating with solid gunwhale sections toward the center of the hull. I've tried various combinations of scupper lengths and spacings, but I haven't found one that works yet. I always end up with a too much or not enough solid gunwhale at the center.

My questions:
1) What methods have others used to determine the scupper size and spacing?
2) How much solid gunwhale is recommended for a robust seat attachment?
3) How much solid gunwhale is recommended for a robust yoke attachment?

Thanks in advance. I'm sure this group will talk me through this problem as before!

Jeff
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

On my 15' Hiawatha, I kept 5" of solid wood for each seat rail and 6" for the yoke. As for the rest of the scuppers (size and spacing) you don't have to treat the inwales as one total length. You can work on each section like yoke to bow seat, yoke to stern seat, seats to decks and make the size and spacing something that is eye-pleasing. As I got closer to the decks, I made the scuppers and spacing gradually smaller.
reinbilt

Post by reinbilt »

Jeff,
I've always started my spacing layout from the middle of the canoe and worked out to the ends. Six inches of solid for the yoke and then adjust the spacing to cover where the seat hangers will be. If the spacing is a little different from the yoke to the bow seat than the yoke to the stern seat it really won't be noticed.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi Jeff
I had concerns about the load bearing qualities of my meranti inwhales as I did'nt want them to too heavy. My final solution was to cut some brass from a door finger plate in an interesting shape and screw it to the inwhales/outwhales to spread the load. I think it adds to the beauty of the boat, but as with all design the beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Good luck,
Richard

"What is this life if full of care, we have know time to stand and stare"
W.H.Davies