Looking for a stable fishing canoe

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
fisherguytoo

Looking for a stable fishing canoe

Post by fisherguytoo »

I am looking for a canoe design that will do well for fly fishing in Nor. Calif lakes.
My concerns are mostly weight and stable / steady as I am now getting up in years
(73) and the old body is not as agile as it once was. I usually go out alone, but,
the craft should be able to handle two people.

"Bob's Special" at 15' seems to be the best that I have looked at for my purpose.
Am I headed in the right direction or is their other designs that I should consider ??
I do like the traditional lines of the Hiawatha , but is it as stable as the Bob's Special ??

THANKS in advance. fisherguytoo[/b]
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

This link shows that the Bob's Special is more stable than the Hiawatha: http://www.bearmountainboats.com/canoetechnical.htm
Dean in Eureka, CA

Post by Dean in Eureka, CA »

Hey Fisherguy,
Where in Northern California are you residing?
Everything will be OK[img::]http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/images ... uryi3b.gif[/img]

Dean in Eureka, CA
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

I built the Bob's last winter and have had it out quite a bit this summer. It paddles extremely well solo and can easily handle two. I think the stability is more comfortable when loaded up a bit, which is probably true of most canoes, I guess. As the literature suggests the lower ends make it less susceptable to crosswinds, easy to fish from, and easier to portage, load and unload from a cartop.

I think I would also look at the 15 ft. Prospector Ranger as well. The optimum capacity is from 150 to 450 lbs. (as opposed to 350 to 540 lbs. for the Bob's) and it has a bit higher stability factor. I haven't paddled one, but the wider optimum capacity range suggests to me that it should be pretty steady lightly loaded.
fisherguytoo

Post by fisherguytoo »

HI Dean,
I am outside of Pine Grove, which is up in the foothills and approx one hour
east of Sacramento. I will be coming up hwy 5 in Aug. Is their a source for
good cedar in your area ????

Ken........fisherguytoo
Dean in Eureka, CA

Post by Dean in Eureka, CA »

Hey Ken,
That's a funny question to me. I live in the Redwood Capital of the world and thought that finding good cedar lumber would be a cake walk, it wasn't. I did find one place close by that could get green clear cedar for me, but I wanted kiln dried. I also found a guy out in the sticks that could have milled me up some awesome Port Orford Cedar. He had his own specialty mill and dry kiln, but only if I bought a minimum of three units of lumber. I haven't won the lottery yet, so that was out.
I ended up finding my Western Red Cedar in Bend, OR, which was about an 8 hr. drive for me one way. I'm on the twisting highway 101 corridor here on the coast, not Interstate 5.
The whole experience of getting the cedar was like my introduction into the world of boat building. The local lumber places kinda cringe when they see me coming now, but I'll tell you, it pays to be picky about your wood. You are the one that is going to be laboring away with it, not the salesperson at the lumber yard.
One other thing: I had this notion of not having to use any scarf joints period. So, all the cedar that I got was 20' long, which took me some time to find. Now that I've got my feet wet building this hull, I've found that a good scarf joint is almost invisible. I'm going to be using scarf joints on my ash gunnels and I used one on my basswood waterline stripe.
I past up a good amount of quality cedar because it wasn't 20' long. If I had to do it over, I would have bought some of the shorter lengths.
Enjoy the quest!
Everything will be OK[img::]http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/images ... uryi3b.gif[/img]

Dean in Eureka, CA
Bob/PA

Not Hiawatha

Post by Bob/PA »

I have two canoes, a 17-foot Micmac (Hazen design) and a 15-foot Hiawatha. The latter is by far the best looking boat, but for fishing I always use the Micmac. Stability is the issue. Although the Hiawatha paddles easily and is 15 pounds lighter on the carry, and I have never dumped it, I find it just "tippy" enough to be uncomfortable when it is not moving, as it usually isn't when I am casting. The extra motion of false casting to get line out produces disconcerting lurches. (BTW, I'm 74.) I would not recommend the H. for your purposes. I've never seen a finished Bob's Special, but I suggest you need a boat with a shallower arch than the comparatively sharp Hiawatha.
Rev320

Post by Rev320 »

This my not be the 1st choice by anybody, but I built a ranger for my kids, shortened it down to 13ft, and found it made a great little fishing canoe. It has great primary and secondary stability. Paddled backwards, it is the perfect solo fishing canoe...for me. Just a thought.

DK
J.D.

fishing canoe

Post by J.D. »

I, too am looking for a stable fishing canoe and am seriously considering building the Grey Owl from Carrying Place Canoes, but can't seem to find anyone who is familiar with this design.
http://www.carryingplacecanoeworks.on.c ... _list.html

Carrying Place has several good designs that would work very well for fishing. Bear Mountain designs are good designs, but appear to be more tripping/camping oriented than fishing oriented.
J.D.
Bayport_Bob

Post by Bayport_Bob »

I'm curious why no one has mentioned the Freedom 15? According to the stability charts, it's a very stable canoe.

Bob
Dave

Post by Dave »

I built a 15'Bob"s and have done some fishing from it. Its stable and will carry alot of gear. I could cruise right up to overhangs and flip jigs underneath and get back out without any problems. I just looked at the Freedom 15 and it looks good too. Don't know why I didn't consider it?
Dave