Rounding edge of scuppers

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Ed Houston

Rounding edge of scuppers

Post by Ed Houston »

Hi all

Quick question on rounding the edge of my scuppers.

I have both out and in whales mounted glued and screwed in place, I scuppered the in whales prior to fitting but did not round over the edges.

I have thought of using a 1/8 round over bit in the router is this advisable or should I work by hand and use sand paper?

Ed
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

If you have a 1/8" round-over bit with a pilot on the end, send it to me and I'll use it. :laughing That is what I have been looking for locally but I had to settle on a 3/16" bit and this was after I had done the scuppers by hand with a narrow strip of sandpaper. :mad
RonMc1954

Post by RonMc1954 »

HI Ed, I used a round file to round my scuppers. A fine file like a chain saw sharpening file. I tried a Dremel tool with a small sanding drum also but it can get away from you easily.
Good Luck
Ron Mc
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

On my last project, I used a "brass" pilot roundover bit per the instructions on John Minche's site for making outwales http://www.michneboat.com/. He referenced (and I bought) a bit from MLCS http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite ... brass.html.
This worked great and the brass didn't burn the wood!!
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Glen,
try this link to Japan Woodworker for a 1/8" bit:

http://www.japanwoodworker.com/dept.asp?dept_id=13061

Greg
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Thanks Greg, I'll have to look into that for sure. :tu
Ed Houston

Post by Ed Houston »

:confused

Having been plagued by this problem all night I took a look at the issue this morning to find that the bearing on my round over bit is too big to fit between the in whale and side of the boat, so I guess I am using a file and sand paper.

I hate it when I don’t look before I leap!

Thanks to every one for your input.

Ed.
DaveH_Wis

1/8 In Round Over Bit

Post by DaveH_Wis »

Ed, The router bit recomended by John Michne from MLS has a 5/32 pilot. I've used it on my boats and it works great.

Dave H
reinbilt

Post by reinbilt »

Eagle America is another source for a brass tipped round over bit.
fz7m0d

Post by fz7m0d »

Dremel makes a 1/8" corner round bit - #615. I got mine from Home Depot.
Bob
(Confucius Say... Asking a stupid question is better than repairing a stupid mistake.)
Its Me

Post by Its Me »

I got the the brass piloted round over bit and had trouble when I attempted to round out the scuppers on my Redbird. The curve of the shear line was too great and the router plate would not sit flat. Maybe there is a way to do it but I could not get it right.
pbrown

Post by pbrown »

I also bought the dremel 1/8" round over bit and am just coming up to this step. It does not have a brass pilot. Can anyone comment on the success or failure of this router bit for this function?

Phil
Ed Houston

Post by Ed Houston »

:eyebrows
Hi all

I got the scuppers on one site rounded using strips of 80 grit 120 grit and 150 grit I cut the strips about 1/2" wide and folded them in half length ways giving grit on both sides. By using it like dental floss I was able to get a nice round edge.

Router bit would heve been much quicker but I am pleased with the look thenks to all.

Ed
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Phil, any router bit (I guess this includes Dremel bits) that don't have a pilot are meant to be used with a guide fence for accurate cutting. If used freehand, the bit can wander and destroy your workpiece.
fz7m0d

Post by fz7m0d »

The dremel bit has a pilot, it's just not brass. My gunnels aren't scuppered, but I did use the bit to round over all the corners on the gunnels and decks. No problems.
Bob
(Confucius Say... Asking a stupid question is better than repairing a stupid mistake.)