canoe coating

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
cedar stroker

canoe coating

Post by cedar stroker »

I recently completed my C-1 marathon racing canoe. I have a big race coming up in Sept.
Does anyone know or have tried a spray or wipe on finish to farther reduce friction . I have tried Super glide,kind of oily finish wipe on,seems to increase speed,but would like to know if any one out there has any other advice. It's west coated,spar finished,just need that extra something that is easy to apply just before the big races to decrease friction on the hull.
Cedar-Stroker
John Michne

Post by John Michne »

Cedar -

The John Winters design articles on the Green Valley web site discuss friction. For minimum friction, rub out the hull to a glass finish, then wax it like you would your car. The Winters articles are at http://www.greenval.com/jwinters.html.

- John
Oshan OkaPini

Friction reduction

Post by Oshan OkaPini »

I believe that much bandwidth has been devoted to this subject on many canoeing and kayaking boards. The bottom line is that the best way to increase the speed in a paddled vessel is to create as smooth and even a hull surface as you can. Waxes and polishes don't create a faster vessel. What you want to remove is a phenomenon called parasitic drag which is most prevalent in a rippled or uneven surface in contact with the water. The surface of the canoe under way will acquire an adhesive thin film of water that will effectively provide the best and most effective lubrication for your hull.

Norman
Right now, there is no cure.
artistwood

Post by artistwood »

graphite coating. sanded smooth then buffed with 0000 steel wool along the LENGTH of the boat. very slippery and abrasion resistant. epoxy, 5% silica , 25% graphite.
the voyages are the memories waiting to happen, the destination is the place we collect them...barry "bear" taylor