Should I add a Keel?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
bwills

Should I add a Keel?

Post by bwills »

This was my first summer with my new 14' puddle duck. During any trips when I was paddling tandem, I could not keep it going straight. After having a slightly more experienced paddler take the stern for a short paddle, they too said they could not keep it straight. So now knowing that is not just my lack of paddling experience, my question is, Should I add a keel? I figure it would be a good winter project. Any suggestions?
Paddle your own canoe.
artistwood

Post by artistwood »

gilpatric said in his book if he were to add a keel to any boat it would be this one. if you're on a lake a lot, then a standard keel would work. if on a river a lot, then a shoe keel would probably be better.
the voyages are the memories waiting to happen, the destination is the place we collect them...barry "bear" taylor
sedges

consider a skeg

Post by sedges »

The puddle duck has about 2 inches of rocker, a lot for a short canoe. It makes it very maneuverable, but with not much directional stability(tracking). It does take a little getting used to a rockered boat. My transition from a straight keeled, no rocker aluminum canoe to a prospector took a while and definitely added some tools to my bag of paddling techniques. Be patient, work on developing a good pitch or canadian stroke in the stern.

Adding keel will do little to help unless it is a very big one. I would consider a skeg starting from the #6 station and running out almost parallel with the waterline to the stern, The end where it would sweep up to intersect the stem it would be 2 inches deep.

I built a canoe with assymetrical rocker a few years back and I like it a lot. The bow rocker is about 3 inchs, but the stern is only about 3/4 inch. The boat tracks beautifully, but is still quite maneuverable, especially with the bow paddlers using efficient draw strokes. A skeg would accomplish the same thing.