Canoe rookie

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Boston Joe

Canoe rookie

Post by Boston Joe »

Hello everyone, its a fine day to start building a canoe. I'm just finishing my brand new wood shop, its 42' x25', 2 story, 9 foot ceilings, hip roof design with all open floors. I'm a big Powermatic fan, and I intend to trick out the new hobby shop with some upgrades, bigger thickness planer, bigger radial arm saws, etc. I make alot of outdoor furniture, friends and family think I should sell the stuff, I use Honduran Mahogony, and ten years out doors, in New England, and they are all solid. So, I have to pick out a canoe design, and see if I can get some help from friends I meet here. My first question is can I make the canoe entirely out of mohogany?....thanks in advance---Joe
Dean in Eureka, CA

Post by Dean in Eureka, CA »

Hi Joe,
You sure can, it will be heavier than cedar.
Let me know what design you decide on, OK?
For what it is worth, I chose the Redbird after much thought.
Everything will be OK[img::]http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/images ... uryi3b.gif[/img]

Dean in Eureka, CA
Boston Joe

Post by Boston Joe »

Thanks Dean, I'll let you know.
John Michne

Mahogany canoe

Post by John Michne »

Hi Joe -

I also like my Powermatic 66, and just picked up the new DeWalt 3-knife planer. Awsome!!

On the mahogany canoe, I built a Wee Lassie II from 3/16" Honduras mahogany. It came out just fine, if only slightly heavier than 1/4" cedar. See my web site, http://michneboat.com for details. Click on Builder's Corner, then scroll down to the Wee Lassie II article.

John

Post by Guest »

Hi John,
Out of all the stuff I'm selling, or will be trading in, the 66 I would never let go. I think its the best out there. I've ripped 16/4 cherry with it...... Nice web site, your story sounds a lot like mine..... I just ordered the cottage cruiser, can't wait to make some dust... I'm working on importing around 12,000 BF of Honduran 4/4 and 5/4, so I'll have plenty of sticks to chose from.

Joe