kevlar canoe

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
boatman

kevlar canoe

Post by boatman »

Has anybody ever build a kevlar canoe. I found a book on amazon about building a kevlar and was wondering if anyone had ever tried it. Is it more or less expensive thatn a cedar strip.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Try posting over at www.myccr.com - there's a builder having some problems with it and you'll probably get some idea of what you're up against... if that building technique is about forming the male mold out of foam strips and plaster.

Googling around will also provide some stories, there is one where there were problems with the plaster mold sticking to the kevlar and needing to be chipped away. The next canoe built was a cedarstrip.
Bayport_Bob

Post by Bayport_Bob »

Before you get too far along in your project, try and find a source for the kevlar. There's currently a shortage for kevlar & carbon fabrics. The fabric you do find will be going for top dollar.
Doug

Post by Doug »

"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
boatman

Post by boatman »

Thanks Doug- That was really helpful. This guy was using the same book that I was going to buy.

After reviewing the excellent site that this guy prepared I think I will not attempt making a kevlar canoe. Looks to be a mess and a lot of expense. Thanks for passing this on to me.
hoz

Wait a minute...

Post by hoz »

now wait a minute. That guy is having problems because he has never laid up laminate before and HE IS USING FAST HARDENER. The resin kicked while he was applying it in the sun in 80-90 degree temperatures. DOH!

I know several people who have built their own composite canoes with no difficulty.
Here's one:
http://www.bwca.cc/tripplanning/equipme ... rcanoe.htm

If you are really interested in making one don't let the bad experience of one inexperienced builder discourage you.
someday I'll fly, someday I'll soar
Doug

Post by Doug »

boatman,
I hope I did not sway you thought on building a Kevlar canoe.
Because I am very interested in building one myself.
I only believe more information on it.

As a matter of fact I am looking at a Carbon / Kevlar blend cloth.
http://www.oneoceankayaks.com/Abrasion.htm#kevlaranch
$44 (Cdn)/ yard at Noah's ($$$)

All the best,
Doug
"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
Its Me

Post by Its Me »

Can some one give a $.50 run down on how one makes a kevlar canoe.
hoz

Kevlar canoes

Post by hoz »

Check the link above. It outlines a couple building one for a BWCAW trip. If you can build a stripper you can build a laminate, in fact you can use the stripper for the male mold.
stonehollow

Kevlar canoe project

Post by stonehollow »

Here's a better outcome from Moran's book - http://www.myrabo.com/k-canoe/kevlar.htm

They ended up at 42 and 44 lbs, about $600 each. I'm building 3 more this spring. The Kevlar is readily available at Noah's Marine.

Arne
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

Hi Arne,

Is that one of the designs out of the book? If so, which one? How does it paddle?
stonehollow

Moran design

Post by stonehollow »

Yes - that's the "Tripper" design. You can see it in action at http://www.myrabo.com/vacations/vacation.htm (Quetico links).

I'm very happy with how it paddles. It's fast, stable (when loaded) and light (42 lbs). I'd say the only down side is that it's not very stable when lightly loaded. The only problem we had making it was getting the mould release wax off so we could attach the ribs - going to experiment with shrink wrap to get rid of the wax problem.
Arne
hoz

Post by hoz »

A fellow over on the Canoe Country BB just used his new woodstrip Osprey as the male mold for a kevlar canoe. He also used shrink wrap as the release fabric with good results.
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

I've had good luck with shrink wrap releasing. I wonder if you could use that peel ply stuff?
stonehollow

Shrink wrap

Post by stonehollow »

That's good to hear! Did you apply anything as a release material, or just lay it up over the shrink wrap?

BTW - nice aurora pics!
Arne