Seat Caning

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Scot T

Seat Caning

Post by Scot T »

I am making a set of cane seats for my Hiawatha. This is my first venture into caning so can use any tips I can get. Seems pretty straight forward. Basic joinery, drill a bunch of holes and connect the dots... I've been following the directions in Gilpatrick's book and things are turning out beautifully. The woodwork is all done and I'm about to finish sand and varnish the frames.

However, I do have a couple questions before starting to cane. Would it be a good idea to round over the edges of all the holes so that the cane (plastic fake cane in my case) does not bend over a sharp corner? This would appear be a weak point and a likely place for the cane to break. And secondly, has anyone come across any finish that will stick to plastic cane to protect it from the effects of the sun? From what I've read and the information I received from the manufacturer, there seems little one can do. I know, I know!... your butt is supposed to be on the seat providing shade but I ask anyways just in case someone knows of something that will provide some UV protection.

Thanks gang and keep up the good work.
reinbilt

Post by reinbilt »

Scot,
Can't help you with your caning question but definately relieve the edge of the holes for your seat. I always use a countersink bit in a drill or drill press. It's a good idea to do the underside of the seat as well.
John Michne

Post by John Michne »

Hi Scot -

The holes have sharp edges, which can damage the cane over time and should be softened a bit. Just a touch with a countersink bit will take off the sharpness. A little more elegant alternative is to round the edges with a brass piloted 1/8" radius round over bit in a table-mounted router. The brass pilot fits the holes, and rounding over all of the holes on both side takes but a few minutes. Simply position the hole over the spinning bit and move the frame as if you were swirling it. The bit I use is #6600, made by MLCS (http://www.mlcswoodworking.com). This is the same bit I use to round over scupper edges, as described on my web site.

I am unaware of any significant UV damage to plastic cane, although I can't positively say for sure. My boats are stored outside, inverted so the inside never sees direct sun. My usage factor is near zero, so they see very little direct sunlight. The only damage I have seen is a few strands chewed by critters during winter, which are easily replaced.

I finally signed up for Photobucket, and this is my first try posting a picture - hope it works!

– John
http://michneboat.com

Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

A product called 303 UV Protectant might be useful for this job. It is sold by REI, MEC, and most kayaking stores.

This is what they claim about this product:
"Liquid sunscreen in a large spray bottle--protects boats, PFD's and accessories from harmful UV rays.
Protects against fading and wear and restores natural color to many rubber, vinyl, fiberglass and plastic products
Not oily or greasy and does not attract dust
Biodegradable product contains no petroleum distillates, plasticizers or silicones
To use, just spray on and wipe off."
Last edited by Glen Smith on Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Glenn, You just gave me a new reason to go to REI again! I thought I had already purchased everything they had for packpacking, hiking, rock climbing and paddling. I've been looking for a good excuse to shop there again and I have been keeping my eye open for this product. I may go today.

thanks
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com