Preparing for Fiberglassing

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
mvettori

Preparing for Fiberglassing

Post by mvettori »

I'm finishing the final prep of the hull and I'm shooting to fiberglass this weekend. The temperature here in Phila. is forecasted for a perfect 70 degrees. However, it has been raining here for the last several days and the weekend forecast is for scattered showers and overcast.

While the temperature is pefect, should I be concerned about the humidity from the damp weather. I am using MAS epoxy, which I understand performs well in high humidity situations.

Any thoughts?

Mike in Phila.
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

I did not have any problems with the MAS slow last winter. It's pretty damp around here most all the time, but I didn't record humidity for reference.
davidb54321

Post by davidb54321 »

Mike,

I used West System on my canoe in a very damp cellar with no problems at all. The temperature will have a much greater effect.
David Bartlett

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"
http://photobucket.com/albums/b81/davidb54321/
Scot T

Post by Scot T »

David D,

Just looked at your photos for the first time. Cool canoe seat! Did you design it yourself or ???

Nice work on the whole canoe, by the way.

Scot
Scot T

Post by Scot T »

Sorry, ment David "B"

scot.
davidb54321

Post by davidb54321 »

Scot,

Thanks for the compliments. The seat is from a design by Martin Step. It is really quite easy to build with his plans and directions, and does look a little "different".
David Bartlett

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"
http://photobucket.com/albums/b81/davidb54321/
Oshan OkaPini

Relative fiberglassing humidity

Post by Oshan OkaPini »

Mvettori,

I fiberglassed my Freedom 17 over a Labor Day weekend in Mississippi during a daylong downpour in an open garage. Temperature about 85 degrees, relative humidity around 90%, overall success right at 100%.

I used Raka slow setting epoxy resin, based in part on the reasoning that if it would work in FL conditions, it should work in MS.

I say "Go for it."

Norman in MS
Right now, there is no cure.