End pour

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Jack in Stoughton

End pour

Post by Jack in Stoughton »

Hi gang,

I'm building a Chesapeak 17, stitch and glue kayak. Chesapeake calls for the end pour before the deck is installed. I've heard of folks on this list standing their boat on end to do the pour. Any opinions as to which is more efrfective?

Jack Johnson
Jack in Stoughton
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I make a dam using a piece of milk or juice carton a few inches from the ends and I fill that with a mixture of epoxy and lightweight additives while the kayak is in the horizontal position. After the deck and hull have been joined, I fill in the rest of the end pours with the kayak in a vertical position.

Last edited by Glen Smith on Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

Glen,

Nice "stair job."

If you use the Bear Mtn/TM inner/outer stem approach, do you do the end pour for "strength" or to seal any exposed wood that did not get sealed with epoxy during the interior glassing? I would think that with this construction method, end pours would not be necessary, except perhaps to seal or to provide attachment points for rudder, painter hole, etc.

I am curious to hear your reason for your end pour.
Snowman back East
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

The yak in the photo is one of my own design and it has no inner stems and no sheer-clamps. It has a rounded sheer-line shape and the two halves are joined with a fiberglass tape inside and strips of cloth outside. The end-pours are there for solidity and also for the painter holes. I don't do end-pours on the BM designs.
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

Noted, thanks. :smile
Snowman back East