Question on bolt size

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
randyc

Question on bolt size

Post by randyc »

Can anyone tell me it it would be OK to use 1/4 stainless bolts to bolt seats and yokes on my canoe. The bear mountain book says to use 3/16 but I am able to get 1/4 at a much better price and want to know if it is OK to use them. I have drilled a 1/4 inch hole and the bolts seem to go through the holes OK but Bear Mountain book says that you need the space provided between the bolts and the wood and should use the 3/16. t doesn't seem to me like it would hurt to use the 1/4 bolts but I am no expert. Thanks.

Post by Guest »

I used 1/4" bolts without problems. The 3/16" bolts are hard to find in some areas.
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

I ordered silicon bronze bolts from Jamestown Distributors. Pretty reasonable and quick. The difference, I think, is the color. The brass or silicon bronze blends better and is more traditional.
John B in ID

Post by John B in ID »

I've used 1/4" and even 5/16" stainless bolts for seats with good effect. There is a question of how much of the thickness of the inwale you feel you can give up for a larger bolt hole. On the other side, stainless is easier to find, especially if you want seat hangers a little longer than usual. Also stainless can give you more strength which is useful on a long bolt, which may also be subjected to a bit more stress.