Help I lost my nut- the one on my Wilkie 12" Contractor

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Rod

Help I lost my nut- the one on my Wilkie 12" Contractor

Post by Rod »

Help I lost my nut- the one on my Wilkie 12" Contractors Table Saw. I have since taken my shed apart, tried the one off another saw, called the Wilkie company and got the last one and ubeen urged to play the lottery but that one did not fit my saw's coarse threads.

HELP!

Have any others ever faced a missing nut? Are there any who could supply another?

I am thinking now of making a wooden thread out of marine plywood but that could be hazzardous if it flys off. Any sugggestions?- Rod in Reston VA
WayneM

Post by WayneM »

Rod

If I understand correctly you have lost the large nut which holds your blade on the saw?

Would a machine shop be able to make you one? I can only assume this is an oddball size and thread as I am not familiar with a Wilkie Contractor's Saw. Do you know the size?

WayneM
Rod

Post by Rod »

Hi Wayne, I don't know if machine shop;s make nuts. Come to think of it I've never been to a machine shop but might be soon. After your comments I remebered I had a thread gage but could not get it to match. The threads are 'flat' at the apex if that makes sence.

I consulted with my older brother a accomplished cabinetmaker and he advised me not to try making a wooden one as then the blade may come loose. I guess he's right. But if I don't get a nut the whole saw is useless.

5/8 inch If aI hadn't mentioned it. My brother wondered if it might be Metric. Made in China as it was, there's really no telling.
KARKAUAI

Post by KARKAUAI »

If you haven't discarded the sawdust and chips that pile up and fill bags and garbage cans and everything else, try getting a heavy duty magnet and fishing around for it. Do you know when it became lost, or was it just missing when you went back to it after a period of not using it? I've lost smaller nuts and odd sized bolts that I've fished out of tons of sawdust with a big magnet. I tried googling Wilkie Saw and didn't come up with anything...is it a company no longer in business? There are some folks out there that sell used tools and parts for discontinued tools. Can't remember any in particular right now, but I know they're there. Do you have a tool repair shop anywhere near where you live? There's a guy near me who's been doing it for 30 years and might know something that could help. There's gotta be a solution if you just can't find it.
A hui ho,
Kent
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

My tablesaw (King Canada) was built in Korea as far as I know. According to the parts list the blade nut is a 5/8" X 12.7 tpi and that of course is a left hand thread. I don't know if yours is the same but it's a starting point.
Rod

Post by Rod »

I was putting on a blade and it fell or disappeared. Similar things have happened to me previously and I thought I'd find it. There wasn't much sawdust. There was an improbable crack. It was difficult to access because a plywood deck I'd put up was epoxies over the screws but I took everything up on the inside or the other side and felt down there telling myself that it was too cold for snakes. I did try a small magnet. I remember one magnet I used to have off of a old speaker long unused now long gone.

Maybe a tool repair guy is possable source.

5/8" X 12.7 tpi and that of course is a left hand thread - I'll keep this in mind. Ate the tops of the threading flat?

It's just so frustrating to be without the use of a table saw, yet having it there.- Rod
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Yes the threads have flat tops. Is your saw a "Wilkie" or a "Wilke"? There is a company called "Wilke Machinery Company" that sell woodworking tolls but nothing with their own brand name on their website: http://www.wilkemachinery.com/WelcomeTo ... 6603786901 It's a shot in the dark, but you don't lose anything by trying.
KARKAUAI

Post by KARKAUAI »

Good idea, Glen. My North State 10" table saw has a 5/8" arbor with what looks like 12 threads per inch. My old Rockwell 12" radial arm saw has a 5/8" arbor with what looks like 16 tpi. Maybe if everybody checks out their arbors we can find you a match, Rod.
A hui ho,
Kent
davidb54321

Post by davidb54321 »

Rod,

Good Luck finding your nut. My vintage Walker-Turner tablesaw has a 5/8" nut with ACME threads(heavy course flat topped) of unknown pitch. Mine is also a RH thread.
David Bartlett

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"
http://photobucket.com/albums/b81/davidb54321/
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

I'm with Ken!! I can't even find a Wilkie table saw on the web. Are you sure of the manufacturer and the name? Or is this some sort of sick Halloween joke!!! :dancing
Rod

Post by Rod »

No Joke. I did call them ( the Wilkie up near York) but they no longer offer the saw. I think it was made in Tiawan. Now things are made right in China. But anyway they looked back in there ware house and said they found one last one but it didn't fit.

I'd previously went to Home depot where I guess the guy felt sorry for me and gave me the nut off a demo saw but that too didn't fit.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

One more suggestion Rod. Do a google search for "woodworking forums" and post your message on one or more forums. You might get an accurate response.
pwstndrf

Lost Nut

Post by pwstndrf »

I'd suggest you look on the Web for Applied Industrial Technologies (www.applied.com) They are one of the largest industrial supply companies in the States. They sell everything for Machine Tool Builders, Commercial Businesses and and other related users of equipment. In my career as a machine designer, Manufacturing Engineer and now supervising a small Mfg. Development Lab in a major automotive component supplier I purchase almost everything in large and small quantities (threaded shafts, bearings, seals and other related machine components) from them.
You are going to have to take the shaft out of the saw and take it to the closest Applied Distributer and chances are they can determine what thread it is. It is most likely what is called an ACME Thread. I have an old Craftsman Saw and the Arbor is 5/8" Acme thread.
The thread's major diameter is either English (1/2" , 5/8" or 3/4" Diameter) or Metrc (12mm, 15mm 19mm, etc.) a simple check will tell you with a scale/rule. To determine the number of threads per inch count the number of threads in one inch's length. Measure from one edge of a tooth to the same point on the next tooth is the proper way to determine the "Pitch" in "threads per inch".
With this information you can talk to someone there and chances are they can determine what you have.
If that doesn't help comtact a local supplier of screws, locally we have a company called Mid-State Nut and Bolt.
If all else fails you can go to a local machine tool manufacturer or a local tool shop and they can help you finding a local source of those tyoes of components. Or the more expensive way is to have them make you a nut. They generally can with the shaft "in-hand". BUT it's not as cheap as you'd like.

Best wishes,

phil w,
pwstndrf

More on missing nut

Post by pwstndrf »

Rod,

I found this company, Roton (Googled "Acme Screws") They make Acme Screws and Nuts. Their catalog listed 3/8" and larger nuts, steel RH & LH and different thicknesses.
Look here to get to their catalog listing.

http://www.roton.com/web/acme.steel_nuts.jsp

Good Luck,

phil w.
Rod

Post by Rod »

That's great Phill, thanks.