which epoxy?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
johnnycanoe

which epoxy?

Post by johnnycanoe »

what is your favorite epoxy and why. i am geting close to that scary step and i am confused. any help would be most appreciated
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

For a first experience I would use a well known epoxy such as West System 105/207 and follow the manufacturers directions for the best results. After building 3 boats with West I moved on to a local product which is much less expensive but I have seen this product used by a lot of first-timers with less than good results. The experience I gained using a top-quality product first helped me to adapt to a different product.

This is not to say that less expensive epoxies are all difficult to use or give poor results. Whichever brand you choose to go with, I would try to obtain a demo pack or small quantity and try it on a test panel first. This way you will know if your work conditions and techniques give satisfactory results. A lot of builders use an epoxy product under less than ideal conditions then think that any problems can be blamed on the epoxy so beware that manufacturers guidelines aren't just recommendations but they spell out the way you "must" use their product to obtain the best results.

Because of your geographical location you probably have access to a large choice in epoxy brands either through local purchase or through the internet. Vaclav has some good information concerning different epoxy brands on his website that might help you in making your decision: http://www.oneoceankayaks.com/Epoxtest.htm
johnnycanoe

Post by johnnycanoe »

thank you glen,i will use a better known brand for sure. i will try for optimum conditions.i think a slow hardener is best for me, a first timer. i am hoping i can spread it out over 3 days. in ted,s book, it talks about doing it all in one long day, i am too nervous to try that. i am building a bob,s special, stretched to 16 ft. i am doing the football in a herringbone pattern and it working out just fine. i have 6 more planks to finish the hull. this forum is the greatest and thank you all who contribute
Rod Tait

Post by Rod Tait »

And a small note. Whichever brand of epoxy you settle on, make sure it is formulated for clear coating. Not all hardeners are.
ealger

Which Epoxy

Post by ealger »

As a new builder last year, I used MAS epoxy, MAS pumps and slow hardner. MAS doesn't blush and I found it predictable. I applied a seal coat to the outer hull and added subsequent applications 12 to 24 hours apart without the need for sanding (Scraping the runs of course!). I'm going to use MAS on my present Ranger project.
Ed..
Ed Alger
KARKAUAI

Post by KARKAUAI »

I second Ed's experience. The no blush feature is nice.
A hui ho,
Kent
Ed Houston

Post by Ed Houston »

I used RAKA and had no problems, after research I found the RAKA resins to be the best for me, no amine blush and good clarity.

I used West system on my sail boat for a barrier coat and other projects the amine blush is a problem if you do not re coat right away or at least it was on the sail boat projects.

RAKA is also much less expensive than West another problem I have found with West is the redening of the hardner if not used right away, I did contact west who told me it is normal for the hardener to go red if stored for extended periods.
If you use west be sure the hardener has not been sat on the shelf too long.

Good luck.
Take a look at the RAKA site.

Ed

http://www.raka.com/
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Ed, just a clarification concerning West System epoxies: the hardener recommended for a clear finish is their 207 and it does not blush at all contrary to their other hardeners. However it can turn reddish as it ages.
Fred G

Post by Fred G »

I've built 5 boats with System 3 and am Happy.
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

I've used RAKA on 127/350 on five boats. No problems at all.
AkDan

Post by AkDan »

I just hope my Raka epoxy is still good. Wont be long and I'll find out.
Doug

Post by Doug »

"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
johnnycanoe

which epoxy?

Post by johnnycanoe »

thank you all,,,you have been very helpful,,,,,,,i,ll let you know how i do
pwstndrf

Glassing

Post by pwstndrf »

Jonnycanoe,

Wether you use West System or another epoxy, go to www.Epoxyworks.com and print Ted Moores "Fiberglassing a woodstrip canoe" (12 pages). Read it two or three times and highlight the key points you'll want to refer to before you attempt the glassing. I just did it the first time this past August (West System 105/207) and am delighted in the result. This article explains the process and problems you'll run into.

Also you might want to call Gougeon Bros. Technical Service 1-989 684-7286. They can discuss your specific concerns. I call twice and they were very helpful.

There is another article "Fibreglassing 101" at www.michneboat.com you might want to read also (19 pages).

Good luck,

phil w.
AlanWS

Post by AlanWS »

When you read detailed descriptions of the method used to apply epoxy, make sure you note which epoxy was used. That's because it matters a lot. With a very runny, slow curing epoxy, a roller works fine, and a squeegee is useless. But a roller will not behave well with a thicker epoxy, and a squeegee is very useful. Find a clear description of a method of applying the epoxy, and either use the same type of epoxy, or make a test panel to be sure you have the process under control.
Alan