Flitchsawn

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Ed Houston

Flitchsawn

Post by Ed Houston »

All knowing list please help!

Sitting in the reading room (AKA bathroom) this morning reading Fine Woodworking #178 the artical about Nick Schade's Night Heron, the artical talks about the boat being made from "Flitchsawn" WRC.

What is Flitchsawn?

The boat looks wonderful so whatever Flitchsawn is it seems a nice method to use.

Ed
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

This is what I found on "Flitch sawn": Flitch Matched or Book Matched: Sequentially sawn lumber from the same log.
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

"Flitches" are a common name for how veneers are cut and stacked, and like Glen said, are sequential or book-matched. If you took the time like some of the builders on the forum do to mark and stack each cut as it comes off the saw, you would have a "flitch-matched" canoe. It would presumably help with color matching, but as anyone who has used WRC has seen, the heartwood and sapwood colors vary significantly, and if you stuck to strict flitch-matching your boat would reflect this, unless you found wood that was all heartwood or just discarded the sapwood. I gang-rip mine, then lay it all out and match for color.

Greg