Epoxy fumes- Question

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Arctic

Epoxy fumes- Question

Post by Arctic »

My next step is to epoxy my 15" Hiawatha. I am working in a heated garage attatched to my house. I have a question about working with the epoxy and fumes . I will be working in an enclosed space with poor ventilation (being winter the doors are all closed). I plan on hanging a plastic drop cloth and sealing the door that goes into the house- my question is does anybody have any tips on increasing ventilation or managing the fumes. I can open the outside door a crack but the temperature will fall fast in the garage if I do that. I am concerned this will affect the curing process?
Also will the fumes permeate the celing/walls (drywall) and get into my house?
Anyone with advice/experience have anything to help?
I have a newborn and wife who will not be to happy if the place stinks like epoxy, and I do not want to take any chances with their health (or mine)!

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark,
Cantley, Quebec.
"The journey is the reward"- Tao saying
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I build in my basement and when I use West 105/207 there are so few fumes that it can't be smelled elsewhere in the house. I just have to open a can of varnish and everyone knows it.
davidb54321

Post by davidb54321 »

Mark,

Like Glen, I also built in my basement with no problems. My family forgot what I looked like for several months, but not once did they come to investigate any strange odor.

You will be fine in the garage.
David Bartlett

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"
http://photobucket.com/albums/b81/davidb54321/
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

I agree with Glen but have a little bit of a twist...the epoxy I've used doesn't really smell or put out much odor. I also work in a connected garage. Epoxy is almost benign compared to some of the other stuff you might use such as acetone, or mineral spirits or some of the other thinners. Should be no problem for your family. But...for whatever reason, I became really, really sensitive to West to the point where the I broke out with a rash whenever I was near it. Even if I don't touch West, I'll break out with a rash around my nose where I breathe. Maybe, psyco, maybe physical. I don't know.

Anyway, I tried MAS and did not have any alergic reaction. That's great!!! I can continue to work with boats, fiberglass, and other projects. But here are my thoughts..

..Dust control is imperative. The cedar sawdust, in and of itself, can cause breathing problems. Use dust masks and clean up after each session. Cedar dust is a bugger!

... Read the safety sheets. In the case of epoxy, its probably no worse than aspirin. But, if you get rashes on you or your wife or kid, think twice. Epoxy is notorious for developing problems with prolonged exposure.

...Use ventilation for both dust and chemical fumes. The best protection you can provide your family is to keep a positive exhaust outside. That way you will know that you are placing your familys health as a first concern.

Hope I helped...Juneaudave :wink
Erik, Belgium

Post by Erik, Belgium »

Epoxy fumes are hardly noticed, but no matter the little smell, you 'll get sensitive to it unless you 're protecting yourself and others. Epoxy will slowly penetrate into the body.
I always wear a protective full face dust mask, a Tyvek coverall, and change my disposable latex gloves with every batch.
Try to wet the canoe out when you 're alone at home, and place a ventilator that drives the air OUT.
Also beware of epoxy dust, it 's just as harmful. Everyones threshold for epoxy is different, but once you 've reached yours, you won't be able to stand epoxy anymore (even the smell will cause allergic reactions, especially to the eyes and the skin).
Also beware with cedar dust, it smells beautifully, but it 's poisonous.

just my 0.02 euro
Erik, Belgium
Doug

Post by Doug »

May want to consider a respirator.

-full face respirator (there is absortion through the eyes)
-properly fitted
-oganic vapour (OV) / charcoal filter
-no facial hair

When working with epoxies there is a risk of becoming sensitized to the stuff.
I am of the belief, that it is "when" you become sensitized and not "if".
Sensitization effects everyone differently.
It is an allergic reaction.

All the best,
Doug

"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
Its Me

Post by Its Me »

To the best of my knowledge, marine epoxies don't contain solvents and thus during the curing process don't give off vapors, let alone hazardous gases or even airborne dust particles (fumes). Inhalation hazards are often associated with heavy metals such as chrome, lead, arsenic, etc but there are no heavy metals in epoxies.

When I sand cured epoxy I find the odor pretty strong so maybe the nuisance dust issue should be addressed while sanding. I also can see wearing a dust mask when sanding too.
Rod Tait

Post by Rod Tait »

Safety data sheets are worth a read on any product brand.
http://www.westsystem.com/frames/tier3/ ... y/msds.htm
Tim Eastman

Post by Tim Eastman »

If working inside (basement) can/should a person wet sand the epoxy to reduce the chance of airborn dust? Or does wetsanding not show well where you've been sanding and how much needs to still be removed?

I'm in the same predicament - I'll be setting up a shop in my basement.
Tim Eastman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Be an example worth following
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Yes, you can wet-sand epoxy once it is cured. See this link with an example of a wet-sanding technique: http://www.oneoceankayaks.com/Wshophtm/Shop13.htm
Arctic

Post by Arctic »

Thanks for sharing your experience and advice. One more question about the epoxy process.
How necessary is it to have a helper? I can get one but it will mean putting off the next step for several more weeks. Is it feasible for me to do this on my own- i.e. mixing, applying, squeegeing etc... or might I be biting off more than I can chew? Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Mark,

Cantley, Quebec
"The journey is the reward"- Tao saying
WayneM

Post by WayneM »

Mark
I was not prepared to go it alone so I enlisted my wife as a mixer and I still found it took a long time to do the wetout coat and I was rushing the whole time. I had never fiberglassed anything before. I found a second set of hands helpful to get a wrinkle or two out of the cloth during the wetout also. Having said that, when I do my second boat I may very well have the confidence now to go it alone. In a previous post, Glen mentioned that he has never had a helper to do this and has no problems.

I wasn't completely satisfied with the way my wetout coat went on but it probably wasn't anything to do with having a helper, more just my total inexperience using resin and cloth.

Wayne
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

A partner was a big help for me. The ability to do it alone is also probably a function of that epoxy used. The quicker it sets, the more hectic it would be (although some guys do it even with the quicker setting stuff). Slower setting epoxy would make it much more viable for me. But I would still much prefer to have someone there to work with. An extra set of eyes to look for flaws. An extra set of hands to mix and keep track of time tapes, etc. Lots of guys build on their own and epoxy on their own. We just didn't have that as a constraint (thankfully).
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
KARKAUAI

Post by KARKAUAI »

I did mine (both of them) alone, but only after I watched Newfound's glassing video. I was able to go at it with confidence and everything went fine. I used MAS slow epoxy and had plenty of time. I encourage you to use small batches (4oz or less) so that it won't start to kick before you're finished spreading it around. When laying the glass on the hull it is helpful to have an extra pair of hands, since any sliding of the glass on the hull can catch a thread and cause a pull.
A hui ho,
Kent