Design and supply

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
jeffchem

Design and supply

Post by jeffchem »

Hi all. I'm new to the building scene, and would like to get some experienced input. I'm considering building a solo canoe for some light tripping, fishing, and the occasional trip with my little sister. I'm about 170 lbs (6'1''). I'll be using the boat primarily on lakes and relatiely calm rivers. I was thinking about the Merlin/38 Spl design, though I also considered the Osprey. Does anyone have any input on preferred designs? Also, I live in the New Jersey area and am wondering if anyone knows a relatively local wood source. Thanks for your input.

Jeff
Rick

Post by Rick »

Jeff,
I'm considering building a solo canoe for some light tripping, fishing, and the occasional trip with my little sister... I was thinking about the Merlin/38 Spl design, though I also considered the Osprey.
Both the Merlin/38 and the Osprey are dedicated solos and the seating arrangement would have to be modified if there was going to be another paddler in the canoe. You'll probably be more comfortable in a smaller two-seater tandem that also paddles well solo.

I was looking for some of the same qualities you describe above, along with faster paddling characteristics and better performance in wind and waves, and decided on the Huron. I'm happy with it for a versatile design, but it might be too tippy for those who like sitting and fishing. More stable boats from Bear Mountain would be the Ranger and the Bob's. Other smaller tandem designs could also be Green Valley's Mattawa or Carrying Place's Jack's Special. Another versatile solo/tandem, but larger, hull is the Freedom 17.

Going solo in a canoe that's been designed especially for that purpose is the most enjoyable type of paddling there is, so don't let me discourage you from building either of the first two. You could make do with another seated on the floor in behind and since canoe-building is an extremely addictive type of thing once you get started up, you'll probably be building a larger boat for a tandem soon afterwards anyway.

Enjoy the planning!
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

The Merlin/38 will not be a nice canoe to paddle for two people. No matter how you arrange the seating it will perform terribly and will end up feeling tippy. If you have to have a canoe that will work for two, look at a Freedom 15 or a Red Fox from Red River Canoe.
Rick

Post by Rick »

With a max beam of over thirty inches and a length of sixteen feet, a 38 should be able to handle your 170 pounds as well as your smaller sister. You might have to sit or kneel further forward on a block of styrofoam, with her sitting behind on another, or on the bottom.

I don't agree that the 38 will become more tippy as it's loaded down this way, actually, it'll become more stable, since the center of gravity will be lower relative to the waterline... I've been paddling various canoes since the sixties, often overloaded and have the scars to prove it...

:razz

Paddling a 38 this way will be far less comfortable than in a smaller tandem, but it'll do in a pinch. As I wrote earlier, the 15'9" Huron was my choice. Besides being fast when two are paddling, and being able to carry enough gear efficiently when going solo, it has great traditional looks in cedarstrip. My time spent paddling is enhanced by paddling a beautiful canoe and the sleek lines of the Huron combined with performance really make it... IMO, the best-looking design in the Bear Mountain stable. I'm sure other builders here will have their own opinions on that last statement, though!
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

The problem of using a solo canoe tandem doesn't arise from not having a maximum width that is too narrow, but comes from how the boat is shaped in the forward and aft sections. Typically, they have significantly less volume there compared to a tandem canoe of the same width. This is particularly the case with American designs as the Canadian solos tend to be bigger, or, at least, that was what someone said to me once from a major American canoe company. :laughing

Anyway, I haven't paddled a Merlin with two people, but I have attempted to paddle a Wildfire and Magic with one of my nieces in the boat. If you're not familiar with these two canoes, they are solos one foot longer and one foot shorter, than the Merlin, respectively, and now an updated version of the Merlin is sold in Bell's line-up with these two canoes.. Although it is possible, like Rick wrote, to use the Merlin as a tandeem by sitting in the bilge water, I wouldn't call it fun or even marginally functional. In this configuration, you wouldn't be fishing comfortably, the performance would be terrible, and you'd probably do like I did, get into a tandem canoe. Of course, if you little sister weighs under 60 pounds, you could probably just put her in the canoe like a pack and have her do none of the work....

If you're plan on taking your sister with you, steer clear of solo specific designs.

Just some thoughts,
Bryan
jeffchem

Post by jeffchem »

Thanks for your help guys. I realized a bit too late there was a 'Choosing a design' forum. I'm quite interested in the tandems that paddle well solo. Would the Huron be stable enough for fishing do you think? Capacity isn't such an issue since I'm relatively scrawny and do relatively light tripping. The bob's seems to have good reviews, but I wonder if there's a faster boat or more stable that might weigh a bit less. Thanks again for all your help.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Jeff, the Huron will be faster than a Bob's, the Bob's is a great lightweight tripping canoe but it was not built for speed. Both designs will paddle well and are comfortable heeled over going solo, but if you want more range and mileage out of a day spent paddling, go with the Huron.

As far as stability and time spent fishing goes, I've spent entire afternoons and evenings trolling along a river or lake in my Huron, and have had no problems. I mostly kneel when paddling or trolling, and it still isn't too tippy when I need to sit and stretch out stiff knees every once in a while... yeah, it happens.

When I go fishing with buds that need to sit while fishing, I take a larger and wider canoe, an old Abitibi with plenty of initial stability. The Huron would probably be too unstable for them, but it's fine for paddlers that are used to kneeling at least some of the time. So it depends on what you're comfortable with. For me, the Huron has the right mix of speed and comfort, others will prefer more initial stability, and the Bob's could be the more suitable choice.

PS... Here's a picture of Bill Mason paddling his sixteen-foot Prospector leaned over, with the bow out of the water for more manoeverability.

http://www.canoemuseum.net/heritage/images/mason_lg.jpg

I'm bigger and heavier than Bill Mason and the Huron still isn't too small for this style of paddling with my weight and a light load in it. It has less rocker than a Prospector, but will still turn well enough when leaned over.
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

Becky Mason, Bill's daughter, put out an excellent video on paddling solo in this style. I recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it yet. It's very well done and rises above the typical instructional video.