Gang-Cutting Strips

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Peter Kotowych

Gang-Cutting Strips

Post by Peter Kotowych »

Hey,

I am attempting to cut 2 strips at once. When I put my spacer ( 2 x 5/8washers) and the second blade in place, there is barely enough room on the arbor to get the nut back on.
My tablesaw is a basic one from CTC. Is this the problem?

Thanks,
Pete
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

Only if the blade flys off, you arbor is buggered, and someone gets hurt :crying ...most arbors are reverse threaded and the torque naturally keeps the nut on. I personaly would not run a double blade set up without the retaining nut being fully threaded. I can't comment on the CTC, but the Shopsmith unit I have does not have sufficient power to make double cuts. Peter...just make sure your setup is safe and you have confidence in it!!!
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

The arbor on some saws is too short to safely take two blades. This is the case with my Delta benchtop saw. My King contractor's saw has a very long arbor so two blades would fit.
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Peter,

Another consideration of safety is the blades loosening up while the motor is slowing down to a stop. If the nut is not tight the rotating force of the blades could be enough to back the nut off, making a very dangerous situation. I once had a near catastrophy when my table saw motor came to a stop and threw my dado blade out the garage door. The nut did not have enough threads on the shaft and I took a chance. My table saw motor doesn't just slow down or coast to a stop. It slows electrically and stops within seconds. The dado blade could have made a real mess of things had it a little better aim. I got lucky and learned a lesson.
Peter Kotowych

gang cutting

Post by Peter Kotowych »

Thanks guys,

I guess one strip at a time is the safest way to go.

Pete
Denis

two blades

Post by Denis »

You dont say if you are using regular saw blades or thin kerf ones. I used a Freud Diablo 8" 210 mm which is a thin kerfed blade for ripping up enough cedar for two kayaks a few years ago, Blade is still in use in my basement. Most of the lettering has worn off so I dont know what model number the blade is. Two of them may fit safely on your saw arbour.

Denis
Peter Kotowych

Gang-Cutting Strips

Post by Peter Kotowych »

I am using regular size blades.
I was also contemplating using a 5/8" washer to replace the flange. If I did that I am pretty sure I would have enough room for the nut. The washer is about the same diameter of the flange.

Pete

ps - Happy New Year to y'all.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Pete, whatever you do, I would ask you to try one little test first: before hitting that power "on" switch, ask yourself if you feel safe and comfortable with what you are about to do.

If the answer is "no", then I think you will know what to do. I now do this every time I use a power tool since I ran a thumb over the saw blade a few years ago. :frightened
ealger

Gang cutting strips

Post by ealger »

I maybe in error on this, but the arbor flanges/washers have a recess cut in the side that faces the blade, kind of like a binding head screw. I think this is done on purpose to keep the nut tight. I'd be afraid of substituting a flat washer for the orginal arbor washer. IMHO.
Ed...
Ed Alger
reinbilt

Post by reinbilt »

Peter,
Don't risk safety to save time by gang ripping. I can rip enough strips to plank a canoe or small rowboat in 2 to 3 hours. Enlist your spouse or a friend to collect and stack the strips after they clear the blade. Gang ripping would only save me an hour or so. Not worth the risk of something going wrong.
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Peter,
I used a Shopsmith for a triple-gang rip this summer. As Juneaudave said, it has a long arbor and I was able to get the spacers, thin-kerf blades and nut on securely. It saved a bunch of time. I very much concur with the other posts regarding your short arbor :sad Don't chance the blades coming off. Maybe the manufacturer has a longer arbor available? Or you can use a friends with longer threads? If not, considering how long you will have this boat a few more hours in the beginning really isn't that big of a deal, right?
Peter Kotowych

gang cutting

Post by Peter Kotowych »

Thanks for the advice guys.
I will err on the side of safety

Pete