Varnish

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
jim in texas

Varnish

Post by jim in texas »

Can anyone tell me a good varnish to use ,or will any brand work fine for a canoe?Thanks for your help.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

There are several good marine grade spar varnishes on the market. I use Epifanes High Gloss. Other good ones I can think of are Coma Berenice, Zspar Flagship or Captain's and I am sure I am missing some other good ones.

Your varnish must contain UV protectants and the higher the gloss, the more it will reflect sunlight to protect even more. Usually the higher priced spar varnishes are better products than the cheaper "house brands".
Ed Houston

Post by Ed Houston »

Hi Jim

I used Epifanes marine, in Seabrook Texas it was a little stickey but I varnished in June very hot I should have thinned the varnish as much as possible and as recomended by Epifanes, as the temperature is a little less than it was then you should not need to thin as much.

Epifanes marine gave me a great finnish & I would recomend it.

Ed
KARKAUAI

Post by KARKAUAI »

I used Coma Berenice as recommended by Newfound for its ease of brushing on. A bit pricey, but came out beautiful on my first attempt at this.
A hui ho,
Kent