Options for stems?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Arctic

Options for stems?

Post by Arctic »

I am wondering what the options are for the outer stems when it comes to epoxy or fiberglass (or both). As of now my glass goes right up to the edges of my outer stems with the face of the stem still bare wood (the bottom portions are covered completely) - I understand that some builders cut a bias piece of fiberglass and glass the stems. I am wondering what advantages this has? If one were to epoxy the stem (no glass) to seal it- would that work out just as well? In the end I am planning on installing brass stem bands. Would having glass on the stems interfere with installing them?
Anyone have any advice or suggestions on what the options are and what might be best?
Thanks.

Mark,
Cantley, Quebec.
"The journey is the reward"- Tao saying
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

the purpose for a bias-cut strip of glass on the stems is for additional abrasion resistance where the stem might scrape rocks on the shore (i.e. on the bottom). If you have covered your stems near the bottom of the canoe you're probably just fine. A brass stem band over the stem will further protect it. We put a bias-cut strip on our stems from the bottom up to the waterline and feathered the epoxy out to make a smooth transition.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I only apply bias-cut strips over the outer stems if I don't install brass stem bands. I have never tried combining both so I don't know if there are any advantages/disadvantages besides a tiny bit extra weight. :thinking
Arctic

Post by Arctic »

Glen,
I am leaning on just going with the stem bands- do you coat the outer stems in epoxy before you install the stem bands or do you leave them bare?

Mark
"The journey is the reward"- Tao saying
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Definitely coat the outer stems with epoxy each time you apply a coat on the hull. Varnish them also and install the stem bands as the last step.

Edited: If you will be gluing the stem bands in place using thickened epoxy, do not varnish the outer stems. Epoxy doesn't usually stick to varnish.
Dan.

Post by Dan. »

Oh,... :thinking Can you glue the brass without using screws? Will epoxy stick to the brass? That is an interesting idea....
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Someone here did it but I don't believe he has reported back about how it turned out, I may be wrong though. I think it was Juneaudave, but again, I may be wrong.

The inside surface of the brass stem bands should be roughened with 80 grit sandpaper. Then you can glue them on using thickened epoxy. You would have to use straps, bungees or tape to hold them in place while the epoxy sets.

I did a search and found that it was Juneaudave, however his technique varies a little bit from what I mentionned. Here is the text from his message:
Well...I used brass brads and silver solder!!! First I took a really, really small drill bit the diameter of a 3/4 in long solid brass brad and drilled holes around the sharp curves. I put a double layer of masking tape over solid brass stem band at locations where I wanted the brads to hold the stem band tight...about 6 inches around the curves. The tape allowed me to drill small pilots right in the center of the brass stem band without the bit slipping if I was carefull. I used tape on the flat part of the keel to hold the stem band tight to the hull....Anyway...I epoxyed the stem band down, and pulled it tight around the curves with the brads. After the epoxy cured, I then used a file and filed off the heads of the brads to the contour of the brass stem band, and used flux and silver solder to seal and blend the brad/brass stem band joint. You can't tell there was a mechanical fastener there!!! You need to practice on a scrap with the silver solder and flux and stem band to get it right...the brass stem band is thick and absorbs heat well so it was tricky to get the solder right.
Doug

Post by Doug »

I do two (rap around) coats and a third bia strip coat of glass on the (outside) stems.
The stems recieve the most bumps of any part the the boat.
Brass is a fairly soft metal.
I like the clean look of the bare stem.
Weight wise which would be lighter?

All the best,
Doug
"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

My method without screws failed this fall after running the Rice Lake up in shore....ripped about half the brass right off. I've been planning to replace the keel this winter (with screws). :embarassed
Oshan OkaPini

Stem Research

Post by Oshan OkaPini »

I extended the epoxy and fiberglass cloth up to the sides of the stems and cut them flush with the outer curve. I then covered the exposed area of the stems with the second coat of epoxy. After curing, the outer stem was marked and drilled to accept the brass screws for the stem band. The option of having removable stem bands paid off this year. I took the canoe down a river with my daughters for an overnight trip. The water level was rather low and we wound up grinding the hull down to bare wood on the gravel bars that we couldn't dodge. Once back home, the stem bands came off, repairs were made, and bands replaced. Brass is a "soft" metal, but that's relative to other metals. The bands do have some minor scratches in them, but if the wear gets too excessive over time, I could simply replace them if necessary. Just consider them as a sacrificial and replaceable component.
Right now, there is no cure.