cosine wherry

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
grinch58

cosine wherry

Post by grinch58 »

I'm currently building a cosine wherry, my first cedar strip boat. I'm searching for a way to measure and cut the angles so the ends of the seats fit neatly against the hull. Any suggestions would be appreciated, and thanks.
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

One of the best descriptions I have found is in a book entitled "Building Small Boats" by Greg Rossel. Bottom line, the boards need to be scribed to the hull on both the top and bottom to fit well. It is a good place to make a pattern out of scrap material.
reinbilt

Post by reinbilt »

I built a C.W. winter of 2003. For the middle two seats I used scrap lumber and did some trial and error cuts to obtain a flush meeting to the hull. It only took a couple cuts for each seat so I didn't waste much wood. The forward and stern seats were the most difficult to fit. I used 3/4 IN. plywood and made a pattern of the seat, planned and sanded until they fit good, and then transfered this to my seat material. Please feel free to email me if you have any more questions about this boat.