Solvents

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Danny Turner

Solvents

Post by Danny Turner »

What type of solvent would you recomend to get epoxy cleaned off brushes and rollers. Does it depend on the epoxy used or is there a ferly "standard" type I could use?
Thanks for any replys.

Danny Turner
Ireland is a land of calm lakes and slow rivers but with no strip canoes upon them.I intend to change this and make it my resolution to do so.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

You could try ordinary household vinegar. If that doesn't work you can try lacqueur thinner or acetone. All three of these "solvents" work to a certain degree.
ealger

Solvents

Post by ealger »

Danny, personally I try my best to avoid the use of solvents. They accumulate in the system and it's just not worth the few dollars saved in trying to reclaim brushes and rollar covers.

As Glen said, white vinegar is good for cleaning off squeeges and roller frames. Put the vinegar in a spray bottle. The throw away "chip" brushes work OK for applying epoxy. Trimming off a little off the ends helps to make them a little stiffer but that's another subject.
Ed..
Ed Alger
KARKAUAI

Post by KARKAUAI »

I went through so many brushes throwing them away the first time that I started cleaning and reusing on the second one, probably used 1 for every 10 I used on the first one. I also cut the distal 3/8 " off of the chip brushes before use and think the extra stiffness helps. I think 1/2 " is too much to cut off. By reusing them, I also have almost no problems with bristles coming out after the first use. I use vinegar first, then go through a wash with laquer thinner, and finish off with acetone to get the laquer thinner out of the brush. I reuse the laquer thinner and acetone quite a few times before discarding it.
A hui ho,
Kent
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

I'm just hopeless and lazy...I don't even try to clean epoxy out of brushes...I typically use the cheapest of cheapest chip brushes (and buy the dark ones so I can see where I left hairs), I use the West System rollers, cut in half on a small roller; and acid brushes for epoxy glue up. I do reuse those plastic mixing sticks. I buy plastic cups for mixiing and throw them out. Frozen orange juice cans for scraping the slops into. I'm a big fan of disposable plastic gloves (a quazillion per box). :cool