Local Supplier Has No Contacs For WRC

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Tim Eastman

Local Supplier Has No Contacs For WRC

Post by Tim Eastman »

I went to two local wood supply shops today which are reputed to have just about anything under the sun. And they do.

Except for Western Red Cedar.

Their contacts and suppliers can't get it.

Now my predicament is - either find another (close) supplier or find a suitable alternate to WRC. So any options out there as far as alternates?

How 'bout Northern White Cedar? We have that by the cubic ton here in Michigan.

Sitka Spruce?
Tim Eastman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Be an example worth following
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

The Northern White Cedar is an excellent choice if the wood is nice and knotfree.
Tim Eastman

Post by Tim Eastman »

Glen does the Northern White Cedar tend to yellow with epoxy and age?
Tim Eastman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Northern White Cedar which varies in tone from white to light brown will darken a bit over time as will most woods. I think it will attain its maximum patina after one or two seasons of use.

The ligher shade of wood on the kayak deck in my avatar is now about the same color as the rest.
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Tim,

I ran into the same trouble finding suitable lumber here in Indiana. I recently spoke with Kurt Hoffman of Midwest Kayaks which is located on the Indiana/Michigan border. He said he sometimes has some good luck finding good quality lumber at Menards. He said not to waste your time looking at the one by lumber. He said the two by lumber is usually decent. With that said, he continued by saying he had been there recently and did not find enough good lumber to mess with. He recently placed an order with a company in Canada. He didn't say who the company was or what part of Canada. I don't know if he would reveal his source or not. He's in the business of selling strips.
mbolton

Western Red Cedar

Post by mbolton »

Tim,
You need only to drive over to Baker Lumber in Grand Haven. They were stocking long lengths and clear lumber...WRC and Redwood.
Rycenga's in Grand Haven can have some okay stock if you dig through their piles.
Mike
hoz

Post by hoz »

Did you try LL Johnson in GR?

Johnson's Workbench
1038 Burton SW
Grand Rapids, MI 49509

616-245-9545
Fax 616-245-9546
Monday-Friday 8:30-5:30
Saturday 8:30-4:00

I built my Osprey from EWC. Very nice wood. Easy to work, a litle lighter than WRC BTW.
someday I'll fly, someday I'll soar
reinbilt

Post by reinbilt »

Tim,
I recently spoke with Earl at L.L. Johnson Lumber in Charlott and they have long lengths of WRC. Their number 1-800-292-5937 ext. 305. Fingerle Lumber in Ann Arbor also stocks long lengths of WRC. Ask for Joe Eadie 1-800-365-7701
Bassbug

Post by Bassbug »

I've had good luck finding WRC at Home Depot and Menards. I live in Lincoln, NE.. I've had to sort through lots of boards to find clear wood, however. If you can resaw and thickness plane, don't overlook the 1 1/4" decking material. I was able to slice off 1/4" from the face and then plane the remaining to 5/8" for my strips. Sometimes the grain pattern allow you to do this.
Tim Eastman

Post by Tim Eastman »

Actuall Hoz LL Johnson's was the first place we looked. I like keeping the money local if possible and we've always had real good luck there on other project supplies.

I've seriously considered the stock at Lowes/ HDepot. One just has to resign themselves to splicing out the knots I suppose. About the best stuff I've seen is the cedar decking at Lowes.

Althooooooough I'm not sure the decking is WRC. Cedar yes but WRC? Dunno.
Tim Eastman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Here is a search engine for finding lumber. Enter a species in the box, enter your zip code, go down to "Specialties" and click "boatbuilding woods" then click on the search box to the right. Checking the suggested suppliers through their websites, email or phone will verify the availability of the wood you need.

http://www.woodfinder.com/
KARKAUAI

Post by KARKAUAI »

I went to my local building supply (not the big box stores) and ordered some 16-20 ft. clear WRC for benches I was repairing on my deck. 2x stuff. I think I spent around $400US and it was more that enough to strip a good-sized canoe, very nice wood. I'm sure you can order some from someone in your area if you can't find it locally.
A hui ho,
Kent
Roscoe

Woodfinder

Post by Roscoe »

Hi Glen
That Woodfinder thing really works.

Visit West Wind Hardwoods!
Reed Mill and Lumber Company, Inc. Denver CO (7013 miles)
Idaho Veneer Company Post Falls ID (7440 miles)
Global Wood Source Inc. San Jose CA (7940 miles)

But I think I'll give it a miss.
Roscoe :laughing
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hey Roscoe, at least it indicates that what you are looking for is out there somewhere. :big grin

Actually, I did a search using a zip code in Michigan and it came up with several sources for cedar within a radius of less than 100 miles. However, this doesn't indicate that the stuff is actually in stock.
Joan and Ted
Site Admin

Western red cedar

Post by Joan and Ted »

The FAQ section of the Bear Mountain website has a discussion about using alternate kinds of wood for planking. We have traditionally used old growth western red cedar because it was easy to get in long, clear lengths. That was 30 years ago. We can still get quality old growth cedar thanks to Ian Magrath at Great Northern Craft in Vancouver, BC. Working through a network of loggers, Ian personally selects each massive cedar log which is then sawn to his specifications. Ian dries the boards slowly in his own kiln and then carefully mills it to produce planks that are a pleasure to work with and will allow you to make the most of the colour possibilities of this wood.
Old growth wood is becoming scarce - it is not going to be around for much longer and we hate to see it go....but rather than see it leave the country as a raw resource, we don't mind making something beautiful out of it for the enjoyment of future generations.
Many people we talk to would like the price to be lower and to these folks we encourage you to make your own out of locally available materials - it makes sense. But if you want to work with beautiful wood - call Ian. We have not seen another company producing that kind of quality strip.
Sorry if these is such a commercial but I have this conversation alot.