Caning seats

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
tom in caledonia

Caning seats

Post by tom in caledonia »

Hi all. I'm just about ready to try my hand at caning. I've made traditional 10" x 15" seats and was wondering about hole size and spacing. Does anyone have a favourite spacing or one that works and looks better? Also, what size cane is best? I'm likely going to do the 7 step weave. Thanks in advance.
Scot T

Post by Scot T »

Hello Tom,

On the last set of seats I did I used 7/32" holes spaced 3/4" between the hole centers and centered on the seat frame. Previously I had used 1/4" holes which is the most common hole size used in modern chairs. I think this might be better as I found the 7/32" holes getting a little tight as the caning proceeded. I usually use what my supplier (listed below) calls "medium" but according to their chart a thinner cane might have been more appropriate for the 7/32" hole. I also used the plastic cane for ease of caning and care. It looks perfectly acceptable.

Caning is easy albeit time comsuming and needing ones full concentration. Put on your beloved Mozart CD (good forgetting the brain waves splashing) and go to it.

http://www.franksupply.com/handcaning.html
tom in caledonia

Thanks for your quick reply Scot T. What you say makes sense. I'll try your suggestion and perhaps even the Mozart but I may have to change to Pink Floyd later.
Cheers.
Tom
Scot T

Post by Scot T »

Pink Floyd is good...Emerson, Lake and Palmer...Steve Vai...
davidb54321

Post by davidb54321 »

Tom,

I purchased my cane from HH Perkins, also the synthetic. It is the "medium" size. I did my seats to Martin Step's Green Valley plans. The spacing is not symetrical, so I can't help you there.

As Scot already mentioned, the caneing process is not difficult, it just takes time. The satisfaction is worth every minute.

I would also recommend a book by Gil Gilpatrick, "Building a Strip Canoe". It has a great chapter on seat caneing that is worth buying the book for. His illustrations and instructions are excellent. You can probably find a copy at a library nearby or find a copy on Amazon.

Good luck!
David Bartlett

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"
http://photobucket.com/albums/b81/davidb54321/
tom in caledonia

I've heard that book mentioned many times over the last 2 years. I'm convinced now that it's one that I'll have to get. Thanks guys.
tom in caledonia

I just looked at your photos Dave. Wow, nice seats. Martin Step strikes again. One of these days perhaps...
davidb54321

Post by davidb54321 »

Tom.

Thanks for the kind words. In regards to Gilpatrick, he takes a no nonsense approach to conoe building. His canoes are 100% functional with a little lacking in the spit and polish area. His coaching and instructions are priceless, much like that found on member sites. Definitely worth the price of addmission.
David Bartlett

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"
http://photobucket.com/albums/b81/davidb54321/