Outrigger Saga Continues

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
KARKAUAI

Outrigger Saga Continues

Post by KARKAUAI »

Aloha, all,
Thought I'd catch y'all up on my second Ulua (an outrigger sailing canoe designed by Gary Dierking) named Huna Kai (Sea Spray). I shipped this one in a crate of 3/8" ply and 2x4 and 2x2 stringers...actually two crates, one for the hull and the other for the iako, amas, paddles, mast, and other accessories. While the hull only weighs 75 lbs (don't laugh all you light-weights, this one's for sailing in 20kt winds and 15 ft. seas), the crate and canoe weighed over 250. The second crate was about 175lb. I thought I had a guy whose semi was converted to carry small boats lined up to pick the canoe up in NC and take it to the west coast for ~$500. Unfortunately he lost some of the load he was planning to take out west with mine and he cancelled out on me with only a couple of weeks to go. I scrambled around for somebody else I could trust and was getting quotes for $2500 and up...AAAAaaaaarrrrrrgggghhhhhh!!!!!! Finally a friend suggested that I call a neighbor who owns a furniture store in town, this friend said he thought he shipped furniture all over the country and even had his own truck. I did call him and it turns out he owns over 50 furniture stores all over the country and has a FLEET of trucks going west every week!!!!! This guy took an interest in my problem, rerouted a couple of trucks to get one going where I needed it to, picked the crates up at my house, and took them to the Hawaiian Express terminal in Reno, all for $500!!! They went in a container in Reno and were immediately taken to LA where they were loaded on a ship within a few days of their arrival in Reno, and arrived at the dock in Kauai 17 days later. Now for the bad news.....Don't have a heart attack, Glen, as far as I know the canoe's in Kauai and in good shape. I was paddling a Kai Wa'a OC1 racing canoe (amazing 16 foot outrigger that weighs only about 20 lbs) on my 58th birthday, no less, while waiting for my canoe to arrive and huli'd (flipped over in the surf) a couple of times. Got right back in the saddle and paddled for another 1 1/2 hours and felt fine, but the next morning I had numbness, pain, and weakness in my right arm... AAAAaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhh!!!!!! Bulging disk in my neck pressing on one of the nerve roots. Tried steroid shot, traction, pain meds....no relief. Flew back to Hickory and had myelogram, surgery tomorrow. Shouldn't be a big deal, home tomorrow night if all goes well, fly back to Kauai in a week or so for recoup. But no paddling, golf, or sailing for 2-3 months. The Hawaiian canoe gods are really testing my resolve. I've got a couple of buddies who are going to pick the canoe up in a day or two, get my trailer and splash cover made, and store it until I can get back. I hope to have the canoe blessing and luau this winter but will have to wait for maiden voyage until next time. I'll update you as soon as I hear that it's there.
A hui ho,
Kent
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Kent,
Sometimes I think if it weren't for bad luck, you wouldn't have any luck at all!

I hope Huna Kai made it safely across the sea, and you can be sailing her soon.

Best wishes on the surgery,

Greg
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Kent, do you think that you are actually going to get to paddle that boat someday? I wish you a speedy recovery and please tell us the boat arrived in one (undamaged) piece.
Arctic

Post by Arctic »

If you need someone out in Hawaii to paddle for you - let me be the first volunteer! All I need is a plane ticket and a place to stay!
:laughing

Mark
"The journey is the reward"- Tao saying
hoz

sorry to hear

Post by hoz »

"All things come to he with persistence. "

You certainly have had your share of problems with those outrigger canoes. Hang in and best wishes for a speedy recovery.
someday I'll fly, someday I'll soar
Chris Ostlind

Outrigger's rock

Post by Chris Ostlind »

Please tell me this wasn't one of the daring and graceful, ama- under huli episodes? I was in a six man boat that was broached by the steersman in ten foot following seas and we went ama under before I could bail out. Not fun. I have great compassion.

Sounds like a great tale over a grilled MahiMahi and a good bottle of Chardonnay. I'll bring the wine.

Chris Ostlind