best epoxy?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
brewser

best epoxy?

Post by brewser »

i want to build my next canoe in my family room down stairs.need to know if there is a odorless epoxy.my three canoes to date was built in my outside garage using a resin thats used on large fishing boats.this resin had a strong odor,wouldn't use it inside the house.the daugther also has asthma, is it a wise thing to do.

thanks
Glen Smith

Epoxy Odor

Post by Glen Smith »

I have built seven boats in my basement. I have used West Systems epoxy and Citadel epoxy (made in Quebec) and I have never heard any complaints about odor by the other occupants. I just have to open a can of spar varnish and I am immediately notified about the strong smell!

Maybe you used a polyester resin which apparently smells quite strong.
KARKAUAI

Post by KARKAUAI »

I used slow cure MAS epoxy in my shop (attached to the house)...No offensive odors.
Kent
Erik, Belgium

Post by Erik, Belgium »

West System is odorless.
But is it harmless as well, meant tot be used indoors ? I can't tell.
Safety is also a matter.
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

I used West Sytem in my attached garage with a vent. No problem with the epoxy smell but the laquer thinner I used for cleanup will set you back. You could probably limit the expore there. My biggest problem with the epoxy is allergic rash due to contact. I have to be really careful with that. I was gluing up the stem to the latest boat a few weeks ago and swiped across my forehead with with the back of the glove. Next day a rash broke out around my eyes and forehead, itched like crazy for about a week, and I walked around red eyed like a drunk on a binge.
brewser

Post by brewser »

thanks for the replies.i think i'll use the west system on the future canoe.
Bernie in Illinois

Post by Bernie in Illinois »

Brewser,
I'm not an expert on epoxy, but I remember a similar question being asked on the old forum. The consensus of opnion then, was that epoxy is non toxic when fully cured. However, allergic reactions are very common and the dust can get in to your lungs. That is why a mask is always required while sanding. Check with your epoxy supplier or mnufacturer. Much of this information is avilable from their website.
If I were you, I would definitely not consider building inside knowing that a family member has asthma.
Rand

Post by Rand »

I use epoxy pretty well every week on small to large vessels. Have used many different brands and the bad news is there are no "safe" epoxies. They are all out to do your health damage so take all necessary precautions including ventilation, masks with the best cartridges available, gloves etc.. So far (can't tell about the brain cells tho) no ill effects due to taking care. On saying that I know other boatbuilders that have had to give their carreers up because of ill effects.
I would imagine you should be OK for gluing etc but for large jobs such as glassing you may be better doing out of the house.
Jeff in Pembroke

Sanding epoxy

Post by Jeff in Pembroke »

Sanding epoxy does create a lot of fine dust, sanding epoxy/graphite/silica is even worse. I took the dust collection bag off my ROS (a DeWalt) and was able to connect the dust outlet directly to my shop vac hose (I needed an adapter to fit the 2" Craftsman hose, the smaller Shopvac brand hose might fit directly).
Anyway, with the vac running the sanding dust was sucked directly into the vac container and the amount of residual sanding dust left was dramatically reduced - almost not noticeable. As well, since I wasn't using the dust collection bag, there was no discharge of dust into the air when the bag was emptied.
I stll wore a mask, though, and I'd recommend ear defenders. Running a ROS and shop vac simultaneously can very loud.
Rick

Post by Rick »

On saying that I know other boatbuilders that have had to give their carreers up because of ill effects.
What were the illnesses?
Rod Tait

epoxy odors and dust

Post by Rod Tait »

Epoxy is never a safe product as mentioned by others. As for allergies, technically it is not really an allergy, but rather an intolerance to the chemicals from exposure. It may occur on the first, second, one hundredth exposure or never if you take precautions.

The smell of epoxy resins is much less than polyester or vinyl-ester resins, but there is a small one none the less. Breathing filters are recommended in closed spaces that are poorly ventilated, but there is no definition of that given by the manufacturers.

As for dust, you will have dust throughout the building process from the wood and the epoxy. Both are very fine and get everywhere unless you seal off the room very well. With a person with asthma in your family, I would not recommend buiding in your home and take that risk. If you build with cedar, your family doctor will have a fit if he/she hears about you building in your home. I will not permit anyone with breathing difficulties to work in my shop even if they sign the required waivers.

Check out the site and follow the links for more info on wood dust and precautions. It is a wealth of info.

http://billpentz.com/woodworking
Michael Freeman

Epoxy Safety

Post by Michael Freeman »

Rod gives good advice. You would be wise to follow it. Epoxy resins and hardners are synthetic chemicals and as such they have inherent health hazards. All chemicals have risks and epoxy is no different. It is safe ONLY if handled and used properly. You can minimize and greatly reduce the risks of exposure by following the manufacturers safe handling porcedures and by wearing the appropriate personal protective equipment. The safety precautions are the same whether you are using the product one-time-only as a hobbyist or every day in a work situation.

Red cedar sanding dust can also be toxic to some individuals. Some people can have severe allergic reactions to the "natural toxins" in red cedar (part of the reason for red cedar's resistance to rot and insects are the "toxins" that are part of the wood).

Brewser - if you decide to use West System they have very complete and thorough safety information published on their website. You can access it here:
http://www.westsystem.com/frames/tier2/ ... safety.htm

If you have any WHMIS training, you can also review the MSDS for West System products here:
http://www.westsystem.com/frames/tier3/ ... y/msds.htm

Don't let all this information overwhelm or scare you. After it has comletely cured epoxy is basically an inert plastic. Epoxy is much safer to use than polyester resins but you still need to exercise some common sense to protect yourself and your family.

Work safely and enjoy building,
Michael