Space between seat and hull

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Jeff in Farmington, MI

Space between seat and hull

Post by Jeff in Farmington, MI »

Hi everyone,
I need to trim the ends of my seat frames, but I'm not sure how much space to leave between the seat and the hull. If I recall correctly, they are not supposed to contact. Any other considerations?

Jeff
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Just as long as the seat frame ends don't touch the hull, you will be ok. I aim for 1/16" at each end.
Jeff in Farmington, MI

Glen,
Many thanks for the rapid response! I was able to set up a jig for setting the seat height, cut the seats to length, and drill the inwales for the hanger bolts.

With seats hanging freely from the inwales, is side to side movement of the seat an issue?

Jeff
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

What do you mean by "hanging freely"? Are you not planning on using spacers between the inwales and the seat frame? Bolt, spacer, seat frame, flat washer, lock washer, hex nut. That should keep the seat in position so it doesn't move in any direction.
Jeff in Farmington, MI

Absolutely! I am using 10-24 threaded stainless steel bolts (countersunk into the inwale) and a wood spacer between the inwale and seat.
My poorly worded question was intended to inquire whether this conventional method still allows any side to side movement of the seat ... sounds like no.

Jeff
83glt

Post by 83glt »

Is it possible to install seats without "hanging" them? I thought I had heard someone somewhere talking about epoxying the seats to the inner hull without using any metal fasteners. Is this possible, and what are the pros/cons vs. hanging seats as described in Canoecraft for example. I'm still a ways from that step as I've not been working on my canoe over the winter, but I'll be at that stage in a couple months and It would be nice to give some thought to this step in advance.

Thanks for your replies,
Jason
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

What some builders do is to epoxy pieces of hardwood to the inner hull at the appropriate height and install the seats on these pieces of wood. Whether they just epoxy the seats to the pieces of wood or use screws I'm not sure.
In Canoecraft it says "The seats in a canoe are normally hung from the inwales, rather than fastened to the hull, so that the canoe can flex and absorb stress evenly."

For a canoe that only sees moderate use, this probably wouldn't create a problem.
Tom in MN

seat hanging

Post by Tom in MN »

Jeff,

I think 1/16 of an inch between the edges of the seat and the hull is a little close. You do get some side to side movement when seats are hung in the fashion you describe. There is no adavantage to making them be so tight, unless your canoe as no tumblehome and you need all of the seat edge to mount your bolt through. Why not leave 1/4" and not take any chances. There is no right or wrong, but I agree they should not rub on the hull as this could cause damage to the hull.