canoe sailing rig

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
keith hunt

canoe sailing rig

Post by keith hunt »

:Built 16 ft Prospector last year but that has now gone to my grandsons. Now building 15 ft Hiawatha as it is lightweight which I can portage on my own (age 70). Very interested in sailing rig but concerned whether Hiawatha is the right boat for this (low stability factor). Would I get away with low aspect lateen or lug rig of about 45 sq ft? Anything less would be handkerchief size! Comments welcome.
keithhunt bourne end buckinghamshire england
sedges

hankerchief

Post by sedges »

I made a sail rig for a 16 Prospector that worked very well. The Hiawatha should do fine. I would go even smaller with the sail unless you are going to compete. I used a 32 square foot standing lug sail on the prospector and it moved it along smartly.
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

Keith,

I have recently given some consideration to a sail rig as well. If you do a search on this forum, you will find numerous posts, all with good information. I read a fair bit on them and from other sources. I recommend you fish around a bit (no punn intended...) and make sure you read as much as you can - there is a fair bit of info out there.

My comment to you would be that if you want to stick with something a bit shorter I would recommend the Freedom 15 over the Hiawatha. There are several reason why I would recommend this, which you may conclude the same from reading the material avail. The case for the Freedom 15 even becomes stronger if you want a good paddling boat (as opposed to just a good sailing boat). I have surmised that the stability rating (primary and secondary) are important when you consider paddling, but with a leeboard installed, the classic stability in paddling configuration means very little when in sailing configuration. Figure out what you want this boat to do best. If you want it to do both (and both very well), then the Freedom 15 is an excellent choice. If all you care about is sailing, then perhaps the Hiawatha is acceptable. BTW - if you are considering a rudder installation, the Hiawatha stem looks like it would be much more difficult to install a rudder - especially if elegance counts... The Freedom tripper boats have nice stem shapes for a rudder.

Personally, I wanted something a bit longer than 15', and this is why I am steering away from the shorter boats, even though I think the Freedom 15 would be a great multi-role candidate. I am still debating the Freedom 17 for myself, but there are a couple of things that make me shy of going with the Freedom 17. I am still undecided.

Best of luck!

Snowman
Snowman back East
Woodbark

Post by Woodbark »

Snowman wrote:Keith,

I have recently given some consideration to a sail rig as well. I am still debating the Freedom 17 for myself, but there are a couple of things that make me shy of going with the Freedom 17. I am still undecided.
Hello Keith, I chose the Freedom 17 for this very reason and more so because of Steve Killing's credentials. I have'nt yet started to build (waiting for warmer climes) but I have done the lofting and ready to transfer it to wood. If you know of a sailing rig already being used successfully on this boat, please share the info. I like building things from scratch, so specs and sketches would work great.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
** IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED -- TRY DOING IT YOUR WAY **
GEORGE.
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

Woodbark,

Check your private messages. I have some contact details to pass along. Glen Smith has put me in touch with a contact he had. Also, I have another contact who has provided some Freedom 17 info for me.

Snowman
Snowman back East
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

I believe that there was a post recently with a Freedom 17 and sail rig on it. You'd have to do a search. It was a nice looking rig.

Also, if either of you have question about the Freedom 17, I'd be happy to answer. I built one and have used it for tripping and day trips.

Bryan