building a Redfish Parr

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Lisa in BC

building a Redfish Parr

Post by Lisa in BC »

Has anyone out there build a Redfish Parr. Its a child size yak. Quite cute. I'm in the process of building one for my grandchild and Nefew.

I almost have the hull closed in and I'm having trouble keeping the strips to the hull. I'm going stapleless.

Any ideas? :thinking

by the way, where is the 2006 Rendevous going to be?

Lisa in BC
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Lisa, the Redfish Parr is one cute kayak for sure. Have you tried using hot-melt glue to keep the strips against the forms?

The 2006 Rendezvous will be held in Peterborough, Ontario. The schedule is being arranged and will be announced shortly.
Lisa in BC

Hot glue

Post by Lisa in BC »

Hi Glen, I've tried it on one of the Endeavours I built. It didn't always hold, I used a wood glue stick, the yellow ones. Is there a trick to it?
Lisa in BC
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Rod Tait has some info on using hot-melt glue on his website: http://www.orcaboats.ca/ Click on "How-To" then on "Staple less Building" for his instructions. As Rod mentions, if there is tape on the mold faces, the glue will not hold very well. Also, you must hold the strip in place until the hot-melt glue has set otherwise the bond will break when you release the strip. One method I have used in the past is to apply a piece of masking tape on the mold edges about every 5 strips and place a drop of carpenters' wood glue on the tape as I install a strip. It has a bit of holding power but it also creates a bit of a mess to clean up inside the hull.

If you are building on an external box-beam strongback (BM style) you might be able to attach some sticks of lumber ( 1 X 2 ) to the strongback to form a frame over the kayak. Then you can fasten pieces of wood to this frame and pressing down on the stubborn strips.

Oh yes, a few more links. Rob Macks tells how he uses hot-melt glue in his shop tips page: http://www.laughingloon.com/shop.tips.html

Also Green Valley shows some staple-less techniques: http://www.greenval.com/FAQnostaples.html Including the gluing of a block of wood to the hull strips then fastening it to the forms to pull the strips into place.
John K

holding strips to forms

Post by John K »

Hi again Lisa
I had the same trouble. Hot mix did help, but where it lets go you could simply use fine fishing line around the stip and tie it to the form inside. The line can be pulled out later and you won't be able to see where it was.
John
John K