Ocean going - Rudder vs. no Rudder

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Lisa in BC

Ocean going - Rudder vs. no Rudder

Post by Lisa in BC »

I have a couple of Endeavors and have mostly paddle in the local area lakes. I am wanting to get some experience in the ocean, say maybe the Queen Charlottes or the Inside Passage.

Can anyone recommend if I should add rudders to my boats.

Lisa in BC
Doug

Post by Doug »

I did not put a rudder on my Endeavour. It takes about a dozen paddles to get use to it, but I will never go back to a rudder. I can almost turn on the length of the kayak.
But then again I was to cheap to put one on, I spent my money foolishy some where else.

Al the best,
Doug
"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
John K

rudder on Endeavour

Post by John K »

Hi Lisa,
I would first look at your skill level. If you haven't had much experience a rudder can be of much help. However, if you want to learn how to control a kayak first, don't put a rudder on it until you have learned that. If your intention is to go on long exposed trips a rudder can come in handy, but even then, if you can control the boat by edging and paddle you can still do without it, but it does require more work.
Cheers
John
John K
KenC

Post by KenC »

Doug wrote:I can almost turn on the length of the kayak.
I still consider myself a relative rookie in kayaking, but my understanding is that a rudder is more an aid for going straight than for turning.

There are times in my Endeavour, particularly in higher quartering tailwinds, and with wind-waves washing over my aft deck, that I think maybe I should have installed a rudder. Staying on course under those conditions can be brutal.

I've resisted installing a rudder. I'd rather improve my technique and maybe play with the trim, by adjusting seat position some, before committing to a rudder. But if I were going to take it on a month-long marathon expedition in potentially rough conditions, I might consider it.
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

Rudders can make your day if you're stuck in quartering waves and are stuck paddling on one side of the boat the whole day. That said, I don't use a rudder on my kayak. Although, I'm a big fan of skegs for many of the same reasons that rudders are used.