rudder

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Craig

rudder

Post by Craig »

I have decided to install a rudder on my soon to be completed endeavor 17. The Kayakcraft book suggests to install it through the deck into the stem, others recommend to trim the back and mount a bracket.

Any suggestions??
Craig
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

A rudder? You haven't paddled it yet and already you want to install a rudder? If you want to use the pin in the deck mounting method I suggest you carve a block of wood to fill in a portion of the stern so you have something solid, that is if you haven't bonded the deck to the hull yet. Using gudgeons for an end mount might not require any modifications since the stern is fairly vertical.

Maybe you should try it without a rudder first then add it later if you feel a need for it although installing one before joining the deck to the hull would simplify the task. :rolling eyes
Craig

Post by Craig »

Since I am going to be paddling in the Pacific north west, and it was much easier to install before than after, I thought it would be a good idea to go ahead.

I plan to run the cables and retraction cord under the deck to improve the look

The deck is not attached currentl, but will hopfully be soon.

:frightened
Craig
KenC

Post by KenC »

Glen suggested you carve a block of wood to fit into the stern end ... I agree and that's what I did ... the fit doesn't have to be perfect because any gaps will be filled with thickened epoxy. Best to do this before attaching the deck to the hull.

I installed a block at both ends actually ... so that I'd have something solid to drill through, for the toggle ropes. The block at the stern allows hardware for a rudder (should I ever decide to install one) to be mounted a little further forward than the stem.
John K

Post by John K »

I can only echo Glen's advice. I paddle an Endeavour without rudder and have not regretted the decision until today. If you have any reasonable paddling experience, you will be able to control the kayak without it. A rudder always adds work to put it in and the controls. It also adds breakable part. If you can do without it do so. If not, install one and don't feel guilty. Enjoy it.
JohnK
John K