Seat Placement

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
mvettori

Seat Placement

Post by mvettori »

I know, I know...another seat placement posting! :embarassed

I searched through the existing posts on the topic and found a lot of info on how to find the seat placement with temporary seats while the boat is in the water. This is going to be a general purpose boat, so I'd like to stay close to the dimensions as stated in the plans. The BMB plans have the front of the stern seat placed 48" to 50" from the centerpoint and the front of the bow seat 32" from the center point.

These are dimensions for a 15' boat. I've extended the Bob Special to 16'. Do I adjust the seat dimensions equally by 6", or do I move the bowseat forward 12"?

Mike in Collegeville
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I'm certainly no expert on this topic but I would think that you would move both seats farther away from the mid-point by a similar (but different) amount. If you moved each form out say 1 inch to stretch the original design, then move each seat X inches based on how many forms you passed to get to the plan seat position (where X might include a fraction if the seat position on the plan falls between forms). I wouldn't think that moving them exactly a foot apart would be correct.

We shrank our Redbird by 6 inches. When we put in the seats, we calculated where on the canoe the seats would go based on how many forms away from the center the plan said they should go. If you stretched your canoe by doing something other than moving each form out a bit, the thinking might be different.

I'd also put them in temporarily and paddle it first before finalizing the locations.

But then again, I'm no expert.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Hi Mike
Using the BMB system for the 15 Bobs Special, how far {from the bow} would the front seat be? This dimension should also work on the 16 ft stretch.

Also use this method with the stern seat, except measure from the stern to the front edge of the stern seat. What it would be on the 15 should work on the 16.

I hope I didn't make that confusing!
Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!